Schwarzbier

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrangeBrew

Reaction score
Planning on doing an extract/kit based Schwarzbier later tonight both to use up some leftover ingredients and expediency as I am a bit pushed for time lately instead of doing my usual BIAB brews...

So here's the plan: recipe taken from a US web site... with slight tweaks.

5 Gallons

Better Brew Pilsner kit (2.1Kg hopped liquid malt)
1Kg Dry Dark Malt Extract
500 grams Maltodextrin (to add body/mouthfeel - less fermentable than brewing sugar (Dextrose))
200 grams Crystal Malt (steeped for 30 mins)
20 grams Hallertau hops
Better Brew yeast that came with the Pilsner kit

Plan is to steep only the crystal grains in a small pot then chuck everything into the fermenter except the hops. Didn't think a boil would be necessary as the liquid malt is pre hopped as it comes from a kit intended to be 5 gallons. Once initial fermentations over I'll add the 20 grams of hops in a sterilised muslin bag to the fermenter and leave till bottling time.

I'll let ya know how it goes !

:cheers:

Personally I would boil. It's a good way to sanitize, mix, create the hot break, plus youre almost doing a boil for the crystal so why not? Too many good factors for 15 mins work imo!

Looks delish though, good luck dude :)

Just finished setting it going, did a quick boil of the dry fermentables, mainly to be sure of steralisation and used the kit malt "as is"...

StrangeBrew said:
Just finished setting it going, did a quick boil of the dry fermentables, mainly to be sure of steralisation and used the kit malt "as is"...

Can I ask how this turned out?
I am doing something along these lines at the moment.

The Ginger Skwirul said:
Can I ask how this turned out?
I am doing something along these lines at the moment.

Not as dark as I expected and slow to clear. Sampled one or two and it's tasty enough but perhaps a little sweet...

Not sure if I'd brew more... maybe give it some more time.

Latest posts

Back