Scottish Craft Brewers January Meeting - Sun 30th Jan

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunfie

Regular.
Reaction score
The first meeting of the New Year will be our Yeast Trial on the 30th January at Elgin House, Easter Road, Edinburgh for an 11am start.

Five of our members have each brewed a cornie of pale ale to a specific recipe with the only difference being the yeast employed to ferment it out. The idea is that we learn the different flavour profiles the yeast brings to the beer.

We will also have a short talk from Robbie Pickering who is organising a Glasgow Beer Week for this spring. This is a new idea to try and organise a number of beer and craft brewing related events in Glasgow so we have invited Robbie along to promote the event and hopefully to gain some support from the membership.

Please feel free to come along and join the brewing community. Bring your own beer and get a second opinion, sample the yeast trial beers and if you have any ideas for events then bring them too.

Davie Martin from Edina Homebrew will be preparing lunch for us too which is always a treat so there will be a nominal charge for that to cover the costs. Give me a shout if you plan to come along so we can ensure that we get the catering requirements correct

Entry is free for members of the SCB and £2 for non members.

Five of our members have each brewed a cornie of pale ale to a specific recipe with the only difference being the yeast employed to ferment it out. The idea is that we learn the different flavour profiles the yeast brings to the beer.

Any chance of posting your findings D, I think it would make a great post.
Have a great meeting :thumb:

I certainly can. :thumb:

Thatr does remind me that I need to do something about the tasting sheet to hand out to the samplers. :hmm:

Just an update to anyone swithering about coming along:

Dunc, our resident yeast enthusiast, is going to do a Show and Tell on how to inoculate slants for yeast storage. There may also be time for some microscopy type work too. :ugeek:

:hmm: :hmm:

I'd love to come along, if family commitments allow. I'll let you know.

Dunfie, it might be a last minute decision - either way! - would you mind pm'ing me your mobile so if I have to change plans last minute I can let you know? :thumb:

sweet :drink: thanks.

Good chance I should make it, I think!

Do you have a google maps link to the location please :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

For all those coming along (and we appear to have a very healthy attendance). Please bring a pen or pencil for filling in your yeast scores.

Also, bring along some beer of you have any ready. :cheers:

All being well, I'll see you there :thumb:

No beer to bring along though - first AG has been drunk, 2nd only went into the King Keg a few days ago, and 3rd is planned for tomorrow :mrgreen:

That was a brilliant get together :cheers:

Many thanks to Dunfie and all the other SCBA memebers for all their efforts :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Good meeting!

For my tastes, Nottingham and Wyeast 1318 London Ale 3 were far and away the best. 1318 in particular had a more rounded and satisfying flavour, Nottingham was the only one were I could pick up any hop aroma.

BigYin said:
That was a brilliant get together :cheers:

Many thanks to Dunfie and all the other SCBA memebers for all their efforts :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Thanks BigYin, it was good to put a face to name and I'm glad you enjoyed the meeting.

mysterio said:
For my tastes, Nottingham and Wyeast 1318 London Ale 3 were far and away the best. 1318 in particular had a more rounded and satisfying flavour, Nottingham was the only one were I could pick up any hop aroma.

I certainly agree on 1318, it had more about it and it produced a beer with a better mouthfell.

As I am a bit of a muppet I managed to leave all the yeast sheets in the hall. However, Davie popped up today and recovered them for me and will stick them in the post. So my analysis will be a few days later than I had hoped. :whistle:

Calum, great write up!

I noticed my comments in all of the yeast apart from the US-05. To be honest I thought that beer may have been slightly infected. The Muntons was surprisingly disappointing but it was definitely the yeast which let the beer down because I noticed some kind of rubbery aroma which was odd, as I have used that yeast in the past. Not a slight on your brewing as it was definitely the yeast.. ! Nottingham I thought had a nice bit of hops in the aroma which was much more prominent than the rest. I had a couple more samples of that beer and enjoyed it even though it was a pretty boring recipe.

The wyeast 1318 was a great beer all round, very well rounded, great mouthfeel and complex. Interesting as it's not a yeast which has a White Labs equivalent, according to Mr Malty it is the Boddingtons yeast. I will definitely be picking some of that up. 1098 I thought was more estery and not quite to my taste but still a good drinking beer.

Anyway, I enjoyed the meeting, the most enjoyable aspect was being able to talk beer with people of all ages who I would normally, probably have very little in common with. I hope I can participate in future experiments!

Thanks for the feedback Mysty, I've started a thread for ideas for future events, experiments, brews......if you have any ideas then please chip in as it would be really appreciated. The attendance at the meeting was quite staggering so there is obviously an interest in Central Scotland and it would be good to sort out next years agenda to meet their needs. :cool:

Back