Screw top bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pebrey

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been going a little mad brewing lately, bottling everything in screw tap bottles. I have been trying various different kits / recipes, on the basis that if I do a load it will have a chance to age before I drink it!

However, keeping track of which wine is which is proving tricky (As I didnt want to label the bottles and then have to clean the labels off again next time!). I thought a good plan would be to buy some new screw tops in various colours and use them to colour code the wine, but I cannot find anywhere that sells them.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can get hold of them? Or have any better ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Pebrey, what about putting a bit of coloured electricians tape around the screw tops.Changing the colour of tape would solve your problem me thinks. :cheers: Ken

You beat me to it fermantall I was just going to suggest coloured tape. However little sticky labels from Wilkos don't take a lot of cleaning off.

Ok - all good ideas (Except possibly the milk!). I have actually come up with an alternative - the missus has a white pen - water based, so washes off with very little effort....

Would still be interested to know if anywhere sells the screw tops though - if only because that was my idea!!!!

Thanks for the help...

Pebrey

Stick to your guns as much as you like, you won't find any, not unless you want to buy the machine that forms them onto the bottles.

Moleys right, youd be hard pushed to find an exact fit to your screwtops. ive also been using screwtops from a variety of sources and you really have to match the screwtop to the right bottle.

why not get some shrink sleeve covers? or even post-its for your labels

Just print a bunch of simple labels detailing what it is and when it was bottled onto normal A4 paper (I can label an entire brew with a single sheet in duplex mode), cut them out and stick them on with prit stick and you're done.
Copy and paste means that this is a very quick process.
Once done, they wash off in seconds and you're ready to re-use the bottle.

Being a heathen with no regard for niceties, I use crown capped beer and cider bottles for brews like WOW as this gives a better seal than an old srew top. The good stuff goes into wine bottles with a cork.
I used to try to colour code the crown caps and memorise the content but my memory ain't that good and at some point you have to use up all the multicoloured leftovers.

Latest posts

Back