Secondary fermentation/ carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abssm

Reaction score
Hi All,

i have made up a cherry cheeky vimto but am not getting any fizz in the bottles at all and no sign of anything happening.

It was in the demijohn for about three weeks bubbling away nicely SG 1046 and FG .995.

I racked it into a clean demijohn then siphoned into 500ml plastic bottles and added a heaped teaspoon of sugar to each bottle, gave each one a good shake then waited for the magic to happen. Unfortunately nothing has happened, not even a small phffft when i cracked a bottle earlier.

The ginger beer i bottled on the same day are all rock hard by now so i know the bottles were clean.

Would it be worth adding a pinch of yeast and some nutrient to each bottle to try and get them to carbonate?

If you used vimto with preservative the yeast is probably dead, did you use a hydrometer to check it had finished?

Hi Chippy, yes i used a hydrometer, thats how i knew what the start and finish gravities were.

I have been making the cheeky vimto recipe on here for the absolutely yonks and never had a problem with carbonation before.

This is the first time i have tried the cherry version though and boiled it up for 20 mins just like i do with the normal vimto version

It took off stragiht away in the demijohn and did finish after 2 weeks but because i had the hangover from hell i couldnt do it that weekend so i left it in the dj for an extra week.

Its now been in the bottles for 9 days and still no carbonation which is why i was wondering about adding a bit of yeast and some nutrient.

Hi Chippy, yes i used a hydrometer, thats how i knew what the start and finish gravities were.

I must remember to re-read the post before answering it. :doh:

It took off stragiht away in the demijohn and did finish after 2 weeks but because i had the hangover from hell i couldnt do it that weekend so i left it in the dj for an extra week.

Its now been in the bottles for 9 days and still no carbonation which is why i was wondering about adding a bit of yeast and some nutrient.

Maybe the preservative having the extra week finished the yeast off, i am only tyre kicking as i dont make cider and don't carbonate, give the yeast a try and see what happens.

Keep us posted. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back