Secondary fermentation..does this increase the ABV?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skippy

Reaction score
Hi All,

This may sound a little numb but I've only been brewing 12 months.

I've just barrelled a Woodfords Sundew.The starting gravity reading was 1039 and the finishing gravity was about 1013..stable for 4 days.
So using the calculator on this website this give an ABV of about 3.4% which is under what its suppose to be...so during the secondary fermentation/conditioning will tthe ABV increase?

The reason why i'm querying it is the barrel I have on the go was barrelled at about 4.2%....Now I don't know if this is right but I have stuck the hydrometer in since and worked it out that its ramped up to well over 5%.

Any info greatly appreciated.
Glenn

Secondary fermentation is mainly for clearing your ales, allowing sediment to drop out.
However the increased time given may let the beer ferment a little longer than you might have done if using one fermenter, thereby increasing its abv.
We are all in a rush these days to finish the ferment off and get it bottled or kegged whatever its very easy not to give it its full time to work out....Those few days in the secondary help against that.
Also on the readings you gave I would be very surprised if the original gravity was below 1040.
Have you checked your hydometer in cooled boiled water to make sure its reading exactly 1000 at the temp its calibrated for. The paper index scale has been know to come a little loose and give readings that are out slightly

Its the first thing I do when buying a new hydrometer and I then check it often through its working life....( unfortunately that is not very long with me as I'm rather clumsy ! )

I remember doing a kit and it stated it bumped the ABV up 0.5% when 750ml bottles primed with a tea spoon for sugar

Well they recon 500ml bottles with half a teaspoon sugar will ramp the abv by 0.2% thats if its to be believed.

Im sure it will increase a bit but not by how much you have stated when you put the beer in your barrel, im guessing was a iffy reading somewhere

Tarticus said:
Well they recon 500ml bottles with half a teaspoon sugar will ramp the abv by 0.2% thats if its to be believed.

It will be that indeed. 4g/l gives a 0.2% ABV.

Tarticus said:
Im sure it will increase a bit but not by how much you have stated when you put the beer in your barrel, im guessing was a iffy reading somewhere

Yup, I suspect incomplete stirring of the wort prior to the OG sample. 1.039 is low for a 5% beer.

piddledribble said:
Its the first thing I do when buying a new hydrometer and I then check it often through its working life....( unfortunately that is not very long with me as I'm rather clumsy ! )
I wish I was as clumsy; mine reads 1.006 in water at calibrated temp. Anyway, it's easy to take off 6 from each reading, but I am tempted by one of those look through thingys (for SG), and a more precise finishing hydrometer. They might be on my Christmas list.

Latest posts

Back