Secondary fermentation temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just moved my first brew into a pressure barrel, and have a couple of questions.

The instructions for my kit were very specific about the temperature during primary fermentation (20-24°C), but once in the barrel all it says is keep it in a "warm place" for two weeks and then move to a "cold place". Does the temperature during secondary fermentation not matter so much?

I don't have a lot of options when it comes to where I can keep the beer (small flat), and where I have it now is typically around 18-20°C. For this reason I bought a brew belt to go around the FV to keep it warm during primary fermentation. Should I also use this around the barrel to increase the temperature of that a bit? Or will it be OK as it is?

Also, I don't currently have any way to monitor the temperature of the barrel, but I guess I could buy another stick on thermostat if careful temperature control is important?

Thanks in advance!

18-20°C should be fine for secondary fermenting, you don't want it too hot as you can still get off flavours if too warm but due to the quantity of yeast not as much as primary. You should be fine where it is just try to keep the temperature constant and not hot and cold. A stick on thermometer is OK for a guide at this point.

I keep mine at room temperature which is usually round 19c and not near a direct heat source. Those stick in temperature gauges tend to measure the temperature of the air and not the liquid

The carbonation temp is not so critical as when fermenting, if its a little colder it will just take longer, unless its too cold for the yeast then it will not do a lot

The general rule of thumb is 2 weeks fermentation, 2 weeks somewhere warm to carbonate and 2 weeks somewhere cooler to condition.

A good tip is to fill at least one PET plastic bottle (Squeeze the bottle before fitting the cap so the beer is right up to the top of the bottle excluding any air) and you can then use this to test if the beer is carbonating, it will slowly go solid and you will not be able to squeeze it in much, once it gets to this stage, usually a week or two, then you can move it to somewhere colder to condition.

Great, thanks everybody!

I barreled it on Tuesday and the top of the barrel has now deformed slightly and has a bit of a dome shape to it, which suggests the pressure is building up. I assume (hope) this is normal?

One other question, there's not really much risk of the pressure going too high and the barrel failing and the beer going everywhere is there? (I don't think downstairs would be very happy) I used the exact sugar that was supplied with the kit, and the cap has a release valve (exactly like this: https://www.brewbitz.com/206/young-s-2-barrel-cap-with-pin-valve.jpg). So I guess it's fine?

Thanks again.

If you worried the barrel is swelling to much just pull/ lift the rubber band around the valve with your finger nail to let a bit of pressure out,you do have to be a bit careful with budget barrels as they are prone to leaking through the plastic seam underneath as they get older,had 3 go KKs are much stronger and reliable.if its a KK I wouldn't worry they are pretty strong and can take higher pressure

I have had one deform before but used my for stout so not as much sugar was added. The seals would go before the barrel would explode

Latest posts

Back