Sediment on the move.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flamingo

Reaction score
Hi gang,

Having a little trouble with pouring from bottle to jug.

Uusing a kit yeast that comes with the tin I was losing about a quarter of a pint by way of the sediment or trub when coming to the end of a pour. Thinking it may have been because I was using a basic yeast I started using Gervin and found that this cured the problem.

Now however, whilst still using the Gervin, the problem has returned and I am wondering if there is maybe something else contributing to the problem that I am not aware of.
Needless to say, but I pour slowly and carefully.

Any advice appreciated.

Maybe store it a bit longer, that might give the yeast time to compact a bit more.
How long ago did you bottle?

Leaving your bottles for longer definitely helps which is why I try and do.

I am currently drinking a Cooper's Wheat Beer and an IPA, both from kits, which have been in the bottles for a few months which I can pour nearly all of the bottle without disturbing things.

I tend to find it also depends on the shape of the bottle. Those like the shape of Magners cider with a gradual shaped neck seem easier to pour without it glugging and stirring things up.

Thanks to all for the replies.
It is Geordie bitter and is poured from the old quart Bulmers cider bottles which I’ve been using regularly since 1969.
And yes it could well be early bottling that’s causing the problem. I’ve always been a little trigger happy with that.
Thanks for your advice ...... a new leaf is waiting to be turned over!

Ever think of transfer to a 2nd fv 2days before bottling I allways do and never have problems with sediment only a bare bit left in the bottom of bottle

the old quart Bulmers cider bottles which I’ve been using regularly since 1969.
I started with those years about the same time, with pot tops, but disposed of them years ago.
However glass bottles do age and weaken, and may not be good enough to hold pressure. I am surprised you have not had one fail. I certainly did even way back then.
So if I were you I would replace them, for that reason, although you are unlikely to get you money back!
Amongst other bottles, I use one litre PET bottles which are a similar replacement for the cider bottles you have.

Have still got about 40 Bulmer’s in regular use over 51 years. I have to replace the red collar washers periodically online. Never had one bottle breakage in all that time. ........ lucky me!

Back