Shipping home brew in the UK

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltyMat

Reaction score
Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right section to post this question to, so forgive me if it is not :?

I was wondering if anyone has a recommended method and shipper they use to send home brew within the UK.

I had sent two bottles to the "UK National Homebrew competition" in Bristol the other week, both bottles individually wrapped in bubble wrap in a 24cm x 16cm x 8cm parcelbox with a bit of extra packing. This was sent via Parcel force (i..e the post office parcel service), only to find that it is in the Bristol Depo, with damage reported. I rang them up to find that it was "completely smashed". I had sent bottles last year this way and they were fine.

I am now going to send another two bottles, using more bubble wrap and extra screwed up newspaper in a 39cm x 26cm x 16cm Parcel box (bottles individually wrapped, and paced in the middle of the box with screwed up newspaper all around). Going to send these by courier (Streetwise, we use them at work without problems - but not for glass :hmm: ), hopefully these will make it they my last two bottles :pray:

Any recommendations?

Yes I did, but maybe that was an invitation like a red flag to a bull :)

I had put on full size prints of this:

GHL03.jpg

on all 4 sides of the package.

I bubble wrap then jam it into a thick hard postal tubes at least 3mm thick then into a box with plenty of bubble wrap. The tube provides aRmour plating, and the bubble wrap a cussioned crumple zone. Never had a problem yet.

Are PET bottles an option? Those would be far less likely to have any issues in freight. Cheaper to post too :)

bobsbeer said:
Did you write Fragile or Glass on the box? Seems some couriers read these words as a challenge rather than a warning.:
Our parcel carrier, when I've been sending some of my own stuff through the works system, has told me that the best way to send fragile goods safely is to not draw attention to them. Many of the parcel hub staff have learned their skill as airport baggage handlers.

The NHBC rules ask for brown or green glass bottles. It doesn't say that PET bottles are excluded though.

I agree with Moley if you draw attention to the fact they are fragile then some bored person in the hub will use it for parcel shot put. :lol: :lol:

One courier which delivers to me says that their company pays out over £10m in compensation each year for damaged goods :oops: :oops:

as an aside remember when you were kids and played the game of knocking on folks doors and running away......
They still play it apparently but its called Parcel Force

Having worked nights for a parcel depot when I was a student (admittedly 20 years ago now), the more the package said "Fragile", the more it got drop kicked into the truck by the neanderthals, who saw it as a challenge.

"Look...dis one goes all tinkly if you drop it". Morons.

For anything fragile, I now just bubblewrap the hell out of it and put it in as plain a package as possible.

piddledribble said:
as an aside remember when you were kids and played the game of knocking on folks doors and running away......
They still play it apparently but its called Parcel Force

:rofl:

:lol: :lol: Thanks for the comments, and the laughs.

Ok, all fragile labels ripped off, and replaced with just two "This way up" (mainly for when it get to the competition, as they are bottle conditioned brews). Sent via 1st class with signature. Fingers crossed. :pray:

graysalchemy: I like the idea of postal tubes, I will have to get some for next time.

You actually need quite thick ones. I actually use the cardboard cores from graphics media ie photo paper etc, you would probably get them from a local friendly sign company or anywhere witha a large format digital printer. Just cut them to size. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back