Should I add calcium to the mash?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy-10

Reaction score
I've read in a couple of places that the enzyme amylase requires calcium as a co-factor, in order to remain stable at high temperatures.

Do you know if this is true? And does the specific type of calcium matter? (I have Calcium Sulphate.)

Calcium plays many important roles, not just in the mash, but in the boil and beyond. The source of the calcium isn't important as far as the actual calcium itself goes, because in water the compounds typically dissociate into calcium cations plus its anion.

Those anions do matter though for other reasons, namely because they affect flavour perception. Gypsum is often used in hoppy beers because sulphate enhances bitterness and gives a crisper hop character. Calcium chloride gives a softer, fuller character and so is often used in malty beers.

Have a look at this article, the first half of which explains the importance of calcium much better than I can:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mu...echnical-articles/water-water-everywhere/amp/

Calcium plays many important roles, not just in the mash, but in the boil and beyond. The source of the calcium isn't important as far as the actual calcium itself goes, because in water the compounds typically dissociate into calcium cations plus its anion.

Those anions do matter though for other reasons, namely because they affect flavour perception. Gypsum is often used in hoppy beers because sulphate enhances bitterness and gives a crisper hop character. Calcium chloride gives a softer, fuller character and so is often used in malty beers.

Have a look at this article, the first half of which explains the importance of calcium much better than I can:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mu...echnical-articles/water-water-everywhere/amp/

Thanks

Currently reading water by Palmer and Kaminski, certainly not an easy read but gaining an extra understanding of brewing water, but I should say steve's post on water is a fantastic and made things alot easier to follow regarding basic and advanced water chemistry. nod to Steve...

Assuming you're somewhere near the Latimer & Crick warehouse in your picture, you're in the Northampton East water zone, for which you can get a 2019 average water report here. It's not perfect - water supplies vary, particularly after a long dry spell like we've had - so ideally you want but it gives you a rough idea of where to start.

Broadly that water is on the hard side - 287ppm as CaC03 and pH7.56 - but otherwise not bad :

100ppm Ca, 85ppm Cl, 119ppm SO4, 9ppm Mg, 58ppm Na.

does the specific type of calcium matter? (I have Calcium Sulphate.)

Calcium is calcium so it doesn't matter as far as the calcium goes, but whether you use calcium sulphate depends on whether you want to add more sulphate...

A bit of calcium sulphate wouldn't hurt for most styles (bitter needs a different water profile to say a NEIPA), but you should worry more about getting the alkalinity down.

Latest posts

Back