Silly question?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonesy

Reaction score
Hello folks, I am on my fifth kit now, very pleased with the results so far. Only question I haven't found an answer for is...... How far up the neck of the bottle should i be filling to? does it even make a difference?

About an inch from the top. If you use a little bottler then you fill the bottle to the top. When you withdraw the wand, there is a perfect gap left.

if you get one of those ( Little Bottler) About £10 or there about's those things take out all the guesswork . However as a rule of thumb we say leave 1" or 25 mm if you are more metric minded I never ever remember any problems with bottles using that simple rule :cheers: hope that helps

Fill the bottle to within 1/2" or the top if you can, leaving too much air room can be detrimental to the beer (oxidation).
You can leave more room, a lot of folk do,
and, the only silly question is the one you don't ask :thumb:

Tip: Buy a bottling wand, or some hose to fill the bottles.

The hose/wand should touch the bottom of the bottle, then fill it until its full or runs over. When you pull the hose out, the level will drop a bit. This way you get exactly the same amount of beer in every bottle, without having to eyeball it. If you prime with sugar in the bottle, you will get a more even carbonation. Wont do much of a difference if you batch prime tho.

Rukula said:
If you prime with sugar in the bottle, you will get a more even carbonation.
I would dare to suggest the opposite might be true. You'll get a more consistent carbonation by batch priming. It's easier too.

Definitely batch priming is more consistent, I've primed both ways and batch priming is the only way I'd go now!!

I think he means that having the same amount of beer in each bottle will give even carbonation if you are bottle priming, not that it is better than batch priming. However I'm not sure it matters much since there is unlikely to be that much difference between bottles.

jonnymorris said:
Rukula said:
If you prime with sugar in the bottle, you will get a more even carbonation.
I would dare to suggest the opposite might be true. You'll get a more consistent carbonation by batch priming. It's easier too.

If you read everything i wrote around that sentence, you will catch my point. Or maybe my weak English is to blame.

jonnymorris said:
rpt said:
I think he means that having the same amount of beer in each bottle will give even carbonation if you are bottle priming...
Fair point.

exactly! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back