Blowtie V2 spunding valve

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezbrews

Apprentice commercial brewer, amateur home brewer
Reaction score
So I have one of these but I haven't brewed in my conical in months and since I disassembled it to clean it I now can't remember... which post does the blowtie go on to act as a spunding valve? I saw someone say the gas post, but surely that is only for gas in? As such, it should surely only go on the liquid out post, for exiting gas/liquid? In this case, only gas is escaping, there is no tube down into the liquid to be clear.

Neither the Kegland nor KBT websites are helpful on this, nor anywhere else I've found so far. Don't want to ruin my equipment, please let me know!

Gas , otherwise you will be pushing your beer out your valve.

If you have removed the beer dip tube then it doesn't matter ,but above advice would be best advice just in case someone does it on a keg with dip tube

They go on the gas post. (Remember the posts are not one way valves, CO2 will escape through the spunding valve, much like you can fill a keg through the liquid out post).

Jez, this is what happens when you put it on the liquid post (with dip tube attached).

Attachments

• 1000048880.jpg
    1000048880.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
They go on the gas post. (Remember the posts are not one way valves, CO2 will escape through the spunding valve, much like you can fill a keg through the liquid out post).

Jez, this is what happens when you put it on the liquid post (with dip tube attached).

Did this last week, lost a batch.

Garage smelt awesome when I walked in. It was only a couple of points away from finishing.

Cocked up when dry hopping.

Did this last week, lost a batch.

Garage smelt awesome when I walked in. It was only a couple of points away from finishing.

Cocked up when dry hopping.

I feel for you. What had you brewed?

I only lost about about a litre as it was right at the start of fermentation. Likewise my kitchen smelt delicious.

Still hopefully neither of us will make that mistake again.

I feel for you. What had you brewed?

I only lost about about a litre as it was right at the start of fermentation. Likewise my kitchen smelt delicious.

Still hopefully neither of us will make that mistake again.
Single hop pale. Harlequin. 100g in the hot side, 100g dry hop.

I could have cried.

Gas , otherwise you will be pushing your beer out your valve.

If you have removed the beer dip tube then it doesn't matter ,but above advice would be best advice just in case someone does it on a keg with dip tube
Why would I be pushing beer anywhere?

What do you mean dip tube? My conical fermenter doesn't have a dip tube.

My conical fermenter doesn't have a dip tube. Isn't that normal? 🤔

Why would I be pushing beer anywhere?

What do you mean dip tube? My conical fermenter doesn't have a dip tube.
General comment about beer out posts. My fermizilla has a floating dip tube and if I connected spunding it would vent beer equally applies to a corny with a dip tube or floating .

Given the subsequent examples of people loosing beer seems sensible, as I originally said if your equipment wouldn't fall foul of this then it doesn't actually matter.

I think there might have been a bit of confusion.

My conical fermenter doesn't have a dip tube, it has a racking arm and yeast dump port. I don't fill with wort to the top and so there's no reason beer would find a way to exit. Moreover, I'm confused as to how using the gas in post would prevent beer exiting but the liquid out post wouldn't.

How does the liquid get out of your "liquid out" post if there is no dip tube?
It doesn't. The fermenter lid just came with it. I bought a gas in post separately.

I thought the in/out posts mattered due to one way valves or something.

I think there might have been a bit of confusion.

My conical fermenter doesn't have a dip tube, it has a racking arm and yeast dump port. I don't fill with wort to the top and so there's no reason beer would find a way to exit. Moreover, I'm confused as to how using the gas in post would prevent beer exiting but the liquid out post wouldn't.
Not wishing to confuse matters further but to you question. 'frequently' the gas post doesn't reach the liquid level whilst the beer out does .

It doesn't. The fermenter lid just came with it. I bought a gas in post separately.

I thought the in/out posts mattered due to one way valves or something.
It sounds like your conical fermenter is not suitable for pressure fermenting.
A spunding valve should only be used if the fermenter is suitable for pressure fermenting.

Latest posts

Back