Simple user upper recipe.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some grains that I need to use up, wheat 6kg, pilsner 1.8kg, maris otter 700g, carawheat, barley and odds and sods.
Any ideas for a user upper recipe? I have wheat yeast, sudo lager, saison and bitter yeast.
Cheers all.

I have some grains that I need to use up, wheat 6kg, pilsner 1.8kg, maris otter 700g, carawheat, barley and odds and sods.
Any ideas for a user upper recipe? I have wheat yeast, sudo lager, saison and bitter yeast.
Cheers all.
What hops do you have and what equipment?

Is you wheat actually wheat malt? If so make a hefewiezen. two thirds wheat malt, one third pilsner malt. So put the pilsner and the MO together, 2.5 Kg plus 5Kg of wheat malt, That'll give you a nice fat OG of around 1075 in a 25L batch. Bitter to about 20 ibus (no more) with your most neutral hop and use the wheat yeast (whatever it is!) Or chuck in all the wheat malt and make up to 30 litres for something a bit more drinkable (but not much). You could put a bit of the carawheat in there to sweeten it up, but don't overdo it. I shouldn't bother with the unspecified odds and sods.

What hops do you have and what equipment?
Willamette, ekg, first gold, cascade, citrate, hallertauer hersbrucker, endeavour, mandarins.
I usually brew 25l or 12l. I have a homemade brew cabinet and can control the temperature quite accurately.
Yeast; Gervin, SafAle WB 06, Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Wheat M20 and Californian Lager Yeast.

Willamette, ekg, first gold, cascade, citrate, hallertauer hersbrucker, endeavour, mandarins.
I usually brew 25l or 12l. I have a homemade brew cabinet and can control the temperature quite accurately.
Yeast; Gervin, SafAle WB 06, Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Wheat M20 and Californian Lager Yeast.

What @An Ankoù said with some hallertau and mandarins bivariate (I presume) and the bavarian wheat yeast.

Is you wheat actually wheat malt? If so make a hefewiezen. two thirds wheat malt, one third pilsner malt. So put the pilsner and the MO together, 2.5 Kg plus 5Kg of wheat malt, That'll give you a nice fat OG of around 1075 in a 25L batch. Bitter to about 20 ibus (no more) with your most neutral hop and use the wheat yeast (whatever it is!) Or chuck in all the wheat malt and make up to 30 litres for something a bit more drinkable (but not much). You could put a bit of the carawheat in there to sweeten it up, but don't overdo it. I shouldn't bother with the unspecified odds and sods.
The wheat is Dingermanns Pale Wheat Malt. Thanks for replying, I think I will adjust your recipe to 15l and use the Wheat for a SMaSH. I didn't know you could use the wheat for a SMaSH.

chatGPT recommends a witbier with with yeast you don't have :laugh8:
1677606128625.png

I never use more than 50% wheat malt in a recipe so my choice would be
2500g wheat
2500g MO & Pilsner malts
cascade to bitter and Willamette at whirlpool.
Safale WB 06 yeast.

Back