Slow starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abssm

Reaction score
I have been brewing the cheeky vimto on here for a while now and i started another 2 FV's of last Sunday.

Anyway, it is being very slow to get going. There is some activity but normally by now they are blowing the lids off the FV.

I don't know why it is being slow this time, perhaps i didn't boil the vimto long enough to wipe out the preservatives, or perhaps because the temperature has been on the low side this might have affected it (the heating is on now all the time, to my wifes delight)

I didn't throw any yeast nutrient in this time and was wondering if i was to dump a few teaspoons in now will it help? Or will adding nutrient after it has started to ferment be pointless?

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance

When i tried a Ribena wine i boiled it but mine never took off and fermented so slowly i gave up after a few weeks, you say yours normally goes well so i can only assume if you have used the same ingredients the lack of nutrient is going to be the reason its going so slow, you can add it now it wont do any harm.

Back