Small batch SMASH IPA with very high %AA hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoon

Regular.
Reaction score
I've a load of American hops from an IIPA and wonder what to do with them. I was thinking of doing a big (~30l pre boil) mash of golden promise malt, then splitting it into 5 boils, one each of centennial, cascade, amarillo, simcoe and summit.

But, how do you deal with weighing out bittering hops, when you've only got a 4l batch, aiming for ~40IBU's an the hops are 13%AA ? Pellets would be straightforward, but I've got leaf/cones so I'm worried I may end up with half cones which could presumably be either the top leafy bit or the bottom bit with all the lupulin? I suppose I could weigh out the whole boils worth of hops (probably still only 20g but at least that's a measurable number of cones), put it in the mini blender with some warm water and add the required amount of 'tea' at 60/20/0min?

If your worried, just do as you suggest, just mini-blender them. Have you got jewellers scales to weigh them. I'm not sure making a hop tea would give you your bittering charge as hops dont isomerise in water. So you'd need to get the blended hops into your wort rather than the tea

So you'd need to get the blended hops into your wort rather than the tea

That was kind of what I was thinking, if I made a ~300ml hop 'soup' (tea maybe the wrong word) with cold water, then it more like 50ml bittering, and the rest at 20min/0min.

I think even if my scales could do tenths/hundredths of grams (and do them accurately) it wouldn't necessarily be accurate because it means cutting flowers into fractions, but the bittering is in the yellow lupulin at the bottom.

Latest posts

Back