Improving a Wilko IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackCloud

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Sorry if this has been done to death but I've just found a Wilko IPA in the cupboard that goes out of date this month.
I think I'd like to brew it, replacing the 1kg sugar addition with some grain and adding a few hops to make it a bit better. I've done a little bit of reading and was a little confused by the suggestion of steeping grains, which doesn't require a boil? If I mash some grain and don't need to add bittering hops, will the boil need to be as long as I'm just sanitising the wort and adding hop flavour?

First thoughts are: 1.6kg of maris otter boiled for 30 mins, with 20g of hops at 20 mins remaining? + 50g dry hop?

I've been doing 1gal batches of AG on the stove for a couple months now so I've got some stuff in already:

Maris Otter EBC 6
Extra Light Crystal Malt EBC 100

East Kent Goldings 5.0AA
Northern Brewer 7.8AA
Cascade 6.5AA

~50g Centennial
~25g Simcoe

Any suggestions? If I was getting into pimping kits I'd just give it a go & experiment, but I'd rather just make a good job of this one and carry on learning AG.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I've not done a steeping, but personally I wouldn't boil the grain. I'd heat a pan to 75 or 80c and put in the grain with the heat off. Put a lid on and leave for 30mins. Then remove the grain and boil as suits you.
Not sure if anyone most experienced than me could set me right though!

Latest posts

Back