Small recipe idea

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMyd666

Regular.
Reaction score
Happy New Year All!

I got the Brewferm party keg system and thought to use two of the kegs (plus bottles) for a Mangrove Jacks IPA kit, then the final 5 litre keg for some leftover ingredients.

I have the following: -

250g chocolate malt (Ritchies).
250g crystal malt (Ritchies, but no idea what lovibond. 60 perhaps, but it's not stated).
500g rolled oats.
12g ekg hops.

Just out if curiosity I plugged the above into brewers friend for a 3 litre mash at 67 Celsius, same temperature sparge of 6 litres. Apparently the final 60 minute boil volume will be 5 litres.
12g ekg at the start of the boil.
A pack of muntons premium gold yeast.
15g demerara sugar to prime the keg.

The wee picture makes it look almost Stout like in colour/ srm 50, abv 4.34%, ibu 38.

What do you think?

Would make a cracking granola.

May get a bit thick in the mash. End up as a heavy dark brew with good creamy mouthfeel maybe.
Or porridge.
See what happens as I'm new to this.

Happy New Year All!

I got the Brewferm party keg system and thought to use two of the kegs (plus bottles) for a Mangrove Jacks IPA kit, then the final 5 litre keg for some leftover ingredients.

I have the following: -

250g chocolate malt (Ritchies).
250g crystal malt (Ritchies, but no idea what lovibond. 60 perhaps, but it's not stated).
500g rolled oats.
12g ekg hops.

Just out if curiosity I plugged the above into brewers friend for a 3 litre mash at 67 Celsius, same temperature sparge of 6 litres. Apparently the final 60 minute boil volume will be 5 litres.
12g ekg at the start of the boil.
A pack of muntons premium gold yeast.
15g demerara sugar to prime the keg.

The wee picture makes it look almost Stout like in colour/ srm 50, abv 4.34%, ibu 38.

What do you think?

You need a base malt like 2-row, Maris Otter or pale malt (among others) as part of your recipe, usually at least 50% base malt (depending on which one you choose). The malts you have there have no diastatic power meaning they can't convert the starches to sugar on their own. Check this article:

http://beersmith.com/blog/2010/01/04/diastatic-power-and-mashing-your-beer/

Also, that seems a lot of chocolate and caramel malt for 5 litres. A really simple oatmeal stout could be:

100g chocolate
100g caramel
200g oats
600g base malt of your choice (i.e. Maris otter)

That gives you a similar abv to your recipe according to beersmith.

Cheers Fury. I was just faffing about not having used the software before. Had the same concerns as you but thought to get the end figures from the software and then scale back on the chocolate and crystal accordingly. Surprised it didn't expect a base malt with its end figures though. :?:

Thanks for the recipe idea too!:thumbsup:

Also, that seems a lot of chocolate and caramel malt for 5 litres. A really simple oatmeal stout could be:

100g chocolate
100g caramel
200g oats
600g base malt of your choice (i.e. Maris otter)

That gives you a similar abv to your recipe according to beersmith.

Hi. I have an 11.5g sachet of safale s04 yeast. How much should I use for a 5l batch? I was thinking about 4g?

I have an 11.5g sachet of safale s04 yeast. How much should I use for a 5l batch? I was thinking about 4g?
2.5 grams would be a 5/23rds of it, and 23 litres is the Nation British Brewlength (salutes the flag). Rehydrate it, too. Some people will say just sprinkle it on top but to them I say shut thee beak.

2.5 grams would be a 5/23rds of it, and 23 litres is the Nation British Brewlength (salutes the flag). Rehydrate it, too. Some people will say just sprinkle it on top but to them I say shut thee beak.

I'm a sprinkler, due to thinking that a starter is too much faff, although I have never tried before.

Hi Folks. Hope this post finds you well.
I finally started my first all grain brew. The stout recipe has changed since I first started this thread after more research and I hope for around 10 litres. It's mashing as we speak. The hour is almost up. Quite nervous about efficiency though.

1.5kg Lager Malt
500g Maris Otter
250g Pale Malt
200g Rolled Oats
100g Chocolate Malt
100g Roasted Barley
100g Crystal Malt
2.5l/kg = 6.9litres mash at 68 Celsius
6 litre sparge at 68 Celsius
60 minutes boil with 33g EKG at the beginning.
120g lactose at the end of the boil.

I've got the same amount of ingredients to replicate, but also add coffee, vanilla and bourbon chips another time.

Let me know if this looks OK please. athumb..

Attachments

• DSC_1552.JPG
    DSC_1552.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_1551.JPG
    DSC_1551.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_1550.JPG
    DSC_1550.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Cheers! I'm splitting the safale, so will have a backup portion.
It's boiling just now. Tasted like hot chocolate before the hops were added.

@AMyd666 you are a lot braver for your first AG than I was, disappointed to say I only did a pale Smash. Let us know how it turns out. athumb..

Cheers, Nick

@AMyd666 you are a lot braver for your first AG than I was, disappointed to say I only did a pale Smash. Let us know how it turns out. athumb..

Cheers, Nick
Will do Nick. I've been sampling the run off from the bag whilst watching the boil. Lovely stuff and bodes well for the future. Thanks.athumb..

Latest posts

Back