So who's growing chillies 2022?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd have thought the plants aim was to get it's fruit eaten and then pass through the bowel and get spread far and wide.

Maybe the higher level of capsaicin make this whole process a little quicker!
I think that the guts of mammals break down the seed meaning they will not germinate; the plants don't 'want' mammals to eat the fruit. The guts of birds on the other hand deliver a ready to germinate seed together with a lovely little dollop of fertiliser; I believe that birds aren't affected by capsaicin

I think that the guts of mammals break down the seed meaning they will not germinate; the plants don't 'want' mammals to eat the fruit. The guts of birds on the other hand deliver a ready to germinate seed together with a lovely little dollop of fertiliser; I believe that birds aren't affected by capsaicin
I think you are right about birds.

Attachments

• 373C495C-702B-4A1C-BBA8-6261AD6A9043.jpeg
    373C495C-702B-4A1C-BBA8-6261AD6A9043.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 0
Got 4 Carolina Reaper seedlings sprouting in the beer fridge at the moment, under LED lights. Will shift them outside when the weather improves (or I need the fridge). 😄

Pleased they germinated as the seeds were several yrs old...

I grew a Lemon Aji Chilli plant in 2021, which gave around 20 yellow fruits.

It had a small offshoot at the base. With a couple of leaves on it. I cut the main plant off at the end of the 2021 season, and over winter the remaining small plant.

This year I’ve got about 40 fruit off it .

It has a similar small off shoot this year. Can you over winter chill plants twice?

I grew a Lemon Aji Chilli plant in 2021, which gave around 20 yellow fruits.

It had a small offshoot at the base. With a couple of leaves on it. I cut the main plant off at the end of the 2021 season, and over winter the remaining small plant.

This year I’ve got about 40 fruit off it .

It has a similar small off shoot this year. Can you over winter chill plants twice?
Yep, they are perennial shrubs in the right climate

Still got jalapenos in fruit! But, going to cut back, and doing the same up here on Tiree in our conservatory. Setting up a 5v fan on a timer for a bit of air movement. last year struggled with mildew,,,, Do you re pot? 🤔

Still got jalapenos in fruit! But, going to cut back, and doing the same up here on Tiree in our conservatory. Setting up a 5v fan on a timer for a bit of air movement. last year struggled with mildew,,,, Do you re pot? 🤔
I'm still picking fruit too, but it's a slow old ripening process!
Yes mildew is a problem, and I think air movement will help limit the issue.
I'm not convinced of the benefits of overwintering, my (albeit limited) experience is that the gains are marginal. I do re-pot, but only when I am fairly confident that the plant has made it through the winter. Good luck!

I used to overwinter but did a trial last couple years and tbh their was negligible difference if the chilli seeds are started early enough in a heated proporgator.

Also I now tend to grow different ones each year apart from the lemon aji which I grow each year .
This year 3 lemon aji plants produced just over 4.3 kilos of chillies.
Also grew Hungarian black and wiri wiri .
The Hungarian were good wiri wiri poor performance.

Next year I'm going for Aji lemon , Biquinho ( sweety drop ) and Alberto's Lovato
( tree chilli) if I can get the seed started early enough.
Failing that ohnivec chilli.

Last edited:
It is interesting, nature. Plants knowing what is detrimental to them and what is good for their survival. I was just reading about the spider explosion because of all our wet weather, including the worlds deadliest, the Funnel Web. I was surprised to learn that their toxin is only deadly to primates and not other mammals and that rabbits are used to make anti venom without any harm coming to them.
I used to overwinter but did a trial last couple years and tbh their was negligible difference if the chilli seeds are started early enough in a heated proporgator.

Also I now tend to grow different ones each year apart from the lemon aji which I grow each year .
This year 3 lemon aji plants produced just over 4.3 kilos of chillies.
Also grew Hungarian black and wiri wiri .
The Hungarian were good wiri wiri poor performance.

Next year I'm going for Aji lemon , Biquinho ( sweety drop ) and Alberto's Lovato
( tree chilli) if I can get the seed started early enough.
Failing that ohnivec chilli.
I have found there is a slight difference in the crop is it is not as good as the plants age. Chilies and capsicums I have left out, some Birds Eye I had for years and cropped pretty well each year but not as good as the initial year Capsicums not so much, same with tomatoes.
I think one would be able to avoid mildew by cutting them right back, but they are so easy to grow why bother.

I grow from seed each year with results depending on my timing and enthusiasm!
One factor I find is consistency in seed. I once grew a splendid batch of jalapeño so bought the same the next year...which were rubbish!

One factor I find is consistency in seed. I once grew a splendid batch of jalapeño so bought the same the next year...which were rubbish!

Jalapeno seem to be the one variety I have lots of problems with. I grow them every year to pickle, and usually save the seed from a few to grow the following year. A few years ago they just lost all their heat, so I started again with commercial seeds. This year they came out completely wrong, must have cross-polinated with another variety.

Every other variety is fine (except F1 varieties of course), just harvest the seeds, dry and grow the following year.

You might want to try Bulgarian carrot chillies.
Jalapeño are about 2000 to 8000 shu, B carrot are 5000 to 30000, which seems a big difference, but I’ve found they are much more consistent, and you can adjust the heat a bit by watering more or less once they get going.

I’ve no way of telling, but I reckon they are consistently around 8 - 10 k shu, like a hot jalapeño.
They go orange, and stop at that. Very popular in Bulgaria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back