Sodium Percbonate for a sanitiser (W5 Oxy)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Day

Reaction score
Bruclens is one and used it in my last brew and it was fine. I bought the Lidl W5 Oxi stuff and it says >30 Sodium Percbonate. As I only ever used chlorine for cleaning and sterilising, would the W5 stuff be ok for a sanitiser?

A number of people use it as a cleaner (which is great) but can Lidl stuff be used as a sanitiser?

Bruclens is one and used it in my last brew and it was fine. I bought the Lidl W5 Oxi stuff and it says >30 Sodium Percbonate. As I only ever used chlorine for cleaning and sterilising, would the W5 stuff be ok for a sanitiser?

A number of people use it as a cleaner (which is great) but can Lidl stuff be used as a sanitiser?

Sanitising leaves a certain amount of bacteria, to remove nasties completely is to sterilise. Oxiclean as far as I'm aware is only marketed as a cleaner, and it leaves a very slimy residue (or at least the stuff I use does), so it needs a really good rinsing. Personally I wouldn't use it on its own, I still use starsan after I've cleaned everything.

Sodium percarbonate is just a mixture of sodium carbonate (baking soda) and hydrogen peroxide (hair bleach etc). The hydrogen peroxide should kill off bugs as well.

I've found a residue with other cleaners too but with this one it should just be sodium carbonate but I would still try and remove it. Pain in the , if you are sterilising bottles. I would bite the bullet and fork out for starsan, a small bottle although expensive goes a long, long way and is cheaper in the long run.

I reckon oxi clean is only marketed as a cleaner as its a general household product for laundry etc, not a specific brewing product. They probably have to get more legal paperwork for a steriliser which would cost a fortune.

I've used Vin Classe Sodium Percarbonate which is marketed as a no rinse sanitiser for brewing. Has worked well for me so far. Thy said have just taken delivery of some starsan to give that a go.

I must say I've not had too much of a problem with residue, though it's less hassle than bleach. I may get some StarSan at the end of the month and give it ago.

Back