Solar Project Pump replacing my Totton Pump

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurtonBrewer

Reaction score
Hi Fellow Brewers.
Its been ages since Ive posted on THBF, but I can't help the need to shout about my new "Solar Project Pump" that replced my Totton pump on my new recent built 100 litre brewery.
With the new brewery I need to transfer hot liquor from the HLT upto the mash tun at 85c, the Totton max temperature transfer is rated at 85c max and does seem to struggle at this temperature. The Totton harbours air around the shaft at this temperature.

So after reading about the pump on here THBF, I bit the bullet and purchased a 14watt Solar Project Pump powered by one of these from Maplins;

http://www.maplin.co.uk/low-power-multi ... pply-32754

1.jpg
2.jpg
David and Goliath.
The Robust Totton pump.

5.jpg

The new pump fitted using 1/2 inch BSP tap connectors, it doesn't look big enough to do the job.
But................

4.jpg
newbrewery1.jpg
Just need to polish and have a big tidy up.
.......the pump pushing out liquor at 100c at 11 litres per minute!

So far Ive got to give it the thumbs up guys!
:thumb:

http://shop.solarproject.co.uk/

Cheers.
Steve.

Good times! I am yet to use my 12v version on the brewery. I am still using gravity for the moment!

D

Nice one BB. Next on my to-do list.
Just a quick question. Why did you go for the power unit from Maplin rather than the one from the pump company?

BeerEagle said:
Nice one BB. Next on my to-do list.
Just a quick question. Why did you go for the power unit from Maplin rather than the one from the pump company?

Hi BeerEagle.
The Solar Project power unit just wouldn't fit within the socket.

IMG_0929-1.jpg

Hence the Maplin seperate plug and power unit.

Steve.

looking good there :thumb:

i use solar pumps love them, though it did not like it when grain got though once :shock:

What a fantastic set up :thumb: :thumb: I think you have convinced me that solar pumps are the way forward. :thumb: :thumb:

prolix said:
looking good there :thumb:

i use solar pumps love them, though it did not like it when grain got though once :shock:

there must be a way to build some sort of fine filter just before the pump

I've got both a Totton and 2 solar pumps and I have been very impressed with the solar too, vary easy to prime, don't seem worry about cavitation and impressive flow rate. I may just use the solar and a variable npower supply and do away with the totton and its bypass valves completely, retired as a spare.

I've got two so I can pump from the HLT to sparge whilst pumping from the mash tun to the copper, I've ordered one of these as a PSU, if it works well then should be able to get the two pumps balanced and easily replicate the different flow rates required each time I brew :pray:

aww man i had convinced myself i needed a march pump and you had to post this
now what :wha:

Latest posts

Back