Solar pumps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marmite

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pump to fill my mash tun which is about 1.8 metres above the HLT. It also will be used to pump sterilizer through the counterflow wort chiller based on 10 metres of 10 mil pipe (minimal head) What should I buy please and do I go for 12 or 24v?

FYI this 12v lil brown 'solar' pump

10369487515_efdbbff689.jpg

filled this
10369730275_de53d2b817.jpg
at over 1.5m head (90cm + height of pot )

thru at least 4m of tube and this 7m+ straight pipe cfc
10369632985_4eab5bde76.jpg

with a limited to 8V power supplied via a tattoo psu (so it chilled to pitching temp)

evanvine said:
May I have a little more detail on your multi pipe chiller please Fil.

Sure the Flux capacitor aka the stainless steel goat..

its 14 x 500mm x 10mm x 0.25mm SS tubes in 1" pvc water jackets, the coax cable twisted round the beer tubes is to keep the pipes centred as the pvc has a natural curl and make a turbulant flow.

22mm copper end feed T's used to join it all up with rubber bungs capping off the ends as i cant braise copper n SS.

3/8" thick walled Silicone tube to link up the tubes, and 10mm x 1mm tube to take the chilled beer to the FV

if thinking of similar go copper for more efficient heat exchange and Go longer 14 x short pipes = 28 ends to fabricate..

i had the tubes and the idea and it works, off the boil to pitching temps at a rate close to 3l per min

Excuse my naivety but am looking at one of these solar pumps as need something to get water from HLT to mash tun, and currently have HLT high up so gravity does the job. Presume with one of these I can have HLT and mash tun side by side. Mention of a 12v adaptor - any links someone can help me with? Is this all I will need to get it up and running? I have the tubing already

Sorry I think I have confused the issue..
My set up includes a HLT which started life as an old school meals SS container which is natural gas powered and sits on the deck.My mash tun sits on a gantry.

marmite said:
Sorry I think I have confused the issue..
My set up includes a HLT which started life as an old school meals SS container which is natural gas powered and sits on the deck.My mash tun sits on a gantry.
any pics, sounds like a grand recycling/repurposing job..

- for an easy fairly cheap 12v pump psu with twist knob control i found ebay tattoo psu's great for the job..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Top-Stainless ... 1366352580
just like the one i use with 2 pumps cant run 2 concurrently its one or the other..

Again excuse the ignorance - have bought one of these solar pumps now and not sure which is the "inlet" and "outlet" on it. I am guessing the inlet is the one on top and the outlet the one on the side??

Back