Something IPA!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JapanBrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Was going to run that test I always wanted to try, recirculating normal vs recirculating full water, no sparge, but ran out of grain!!! That's ok.

Either I'm using way too much grain, or my system is really efficient! Doing a 7 liter, small batch, like a smash but have to throw in some cascade. Just got to have some cascade!!!
Mashed with 6 liters of water and after almost all the way through sparging, 6.5 liters, my gravity is hitting 20 brix! That's going to give my yeast hell.
I started my mash at a very low temp, 63 and then moved it up slowly throughout the hour till I hit 75 at the end.
I got 9 liters pre boil. So that was on the money. It's boiling now so we'll see what happens but this is going to be a head stomper when it's done.
Total hops I'll have is 30 grams!! 10 grams nugget at 60, 10 of cascade at 10 minutes and another 10 when the wort hits 80 degrees.
Keep you posted!!

Okay... Sitting down!?! Damn, 25 brix.... Okay.... We're in spirit country now!!! Water??? How do I approach this?

How much grain did you use? Are you sure the reading is correct? (no offence). Am I right in saying that's 1.106 in old money? Not sure I'd fancy a 15% beer! You could add water, but with the amount required, I'm not sure what that would do to the taste.

Did you run the recipe through a calculator first?

Yes, beer smith. It calculated 1.060... I'm not a little off... I'm in some other universe.
I added 2 liters of water but still damn high. I don't think the yeast is going to finish it. Tastes great. The nugget and cascade gives it a nice taste!!!

Just 2 kg of Pilsner malt. 7 liter batch. Mashed with 6 liters then sparged with 6.5 liters. Pre boil of 9 liters. Boiled 60 minutes. Ended with 6.5 liters. I guess a rough boil!

Maybe my scale went bonkers. It looked like a lot of grain. I never liked that scale!!!

Do you need to calibrate your hydrometer/refractometer? Are you measuring at room temperature.

(Sorry you probably have asked yourself these questions already).

It must have been over 2kg. Even 100% efficiency won't get to your OG.

I'd probably chuck it and start again if it was me.

Yeast is having at it... might have a blow over!!!
photo-3-28-16-8-51-13-am-475.jpg

Latest posts

Back