sous-vide controlled mash tun?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UpTheToon

Reaction score
I'm still a kit brewer but looking into the AG process and how I'll do it.

I have one of these on order for sous-vide (water bath) cooking and it seems like it might be ideal for controlling some sort of electric boiler as a mash tun? or would that not work?

It basically has a sensor on a wire and switches the power on and off using a formula.

EDIT - new poster so can't post links... the thing is called a "codlo". It's less dodgy than it sounds ;)

if it can control a kettle then give it a go, would suspect extended wattage at mash/boil may tax it though.

i made a souse vede cooker from a temp controller similar to an stc1000 a 12v pump and psu and a cheap coldbox..

problem with using the same vessel as a mashtun is any oils/fats that are on your bags will be a pita to clean out effectivly not to effect the mash.

I sous vide in my slow cooker using my stc1000 to control it. Works a treat.

K

eby6equ9.jpg

What vacuum bagger do you use Kev? I had a cheap one from lidl and it was carp wouldn't even draw the air out of the bag.

I use the Archimedes principle.

Basically put your grub in a ziplock bag and close it 90%. Slowly dip the bag (keeping the opening above the water!) into water. The water pressure pushes ALL the air out and just before it's fully submerged close the bags opening.

Job done. Works very well.

K

Nice looking meat!
I wouldn't have to use the same vessel with this device, it just plugs into the wall then into the boiler. Might have to give this a try.

ps i forgot i heated the coldbox with a 10mm diameter 250w cartridge heater using a 10mm olive compression fitting to fix it into the coldbox.. fill with a kettle off the boil and hot water from the tap and its basically at temp ready to go, if not the 250w heater brings up the 20l or so of water up a degree in 20 mins .. (so dont start with cold tap water .. hehe )

no pics due to being pushed out by flickr and the thing has been stripped for controller and heater for other projects, VERY Nice steaks, but u have to have patience, no seeing the steak in the fridge and sitting down to munch 10 mins later :)

eggs - perhaps cos ours are not premium free range but corner shop type ;) - naw too runny

chicken - juicy - but not that much of an improvement over other cooking methods..

Cheap beef - Brisket etc.. WOW NOT GOOD - collegen pockets need more heat to cook n disolve than a fine steak cut...

Green ham - V-good but its V good just boilled too :)

Lamb - i wasnt impressed the g/f luvved it.. but im not a big lamb muncher.. very nice tho on the day, day 2 tho and the cold meat was too fatty as usual..

Pork- never tried..

Best use - prepping for a BBQ, bung all the meat in the night b4/morning of (depends on your schedule) and its just so easy to pull n open a bag flash grill n serve, eyes do widen ;)

I too used the dip n seal bagging U can then funnel in marinade something that would kill a cheap vacuum sealer, just rig lines to hang the bags off with clothes pegs ;)

Think i will put it back together when we have the next bbq but till then the controller and element are used controlling fermentation temps way more important that ;)

Cheers for that Kev. I want one for cheese making but I may try that principal next week :thumb:

It's not perfect mate but it's pretty damn close.

K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back