Quantcast

St Peters Cream Stout

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

halfpint

Reaction score
Normally a Coopers stout person, but thought I would try a different one.
Followed instructions with these additions.
Added 100g ground coffee brewed with 2 L of very hot but not boiling water.
Added 500g light spray malt
Fermented @ 20L with S-04 yeast @ 18C for 14 days
Bottle carbonated with 124g soft brown sugar @ 18C for 10 days
Conditioned 1 month @ 8C
Taste test: Coffee came through followed by chocolate and then a creamy taste on the lips to finish. This is better than any other stout I have brewed, it can only get better with time.

GhostShip

Reaction score
I don’t normally drink darker beers but you’ve really whetted my appetite with that! In particular, I love coffee flavours.

Can I just ask - I assume you added the light spray malt at the start of the process in place of sugar? Did you also add the coffee then or later on? Did you use an ordinary instant coffee or higher quality ground beans?

stan

Reaction score
set this one off nearly 2 weeks ago following halfpints recipe I used filter coffee I put everything in at the start og was 1050 now at 1011 going into secondary on Sunday ( day 14 )if still at 1011 ready for bottling wed / Thursday

GhostShip

Reaction score
set this one off nearly 2 weeks ago following halfpints recipe I used filter coffee I put everything in at the start og was 1050 now at 1011 going into secondary on Sunday ( day 14 )if still at 1011 ready for bottling wed / Thursday
Let us know how it turns out!

halfpint

Reaction score
I don’t normally drink darker beers but you’ve really whetted my appetite with that! In particular, I love coffee flavours.

Can I just ask - I assume you added the light spray malt at the start of the process in place of sugar? Did you also add the coffee then or later on? Did you use an ordinary instant coffee or higher quality ground beans?
This kit does not require the adding of sugar, I added the spray malt to give it a better body. Everything went in at the start, and I used fresh ground beans from my grinder. Just make sure not to use boiling water to make up the coffee.

GhostShip

Reaction score
Bottled my cream stout last night, following halfpint's recipe to the letter (apart from the yeast which I forgot to get, so used the kit yeast).

Smelled wonderful and tasted even better - lovely, dark malt with a subtle hit of coffee. If it tastes that good now, I can't wait to try it after secondary fermentation and then conditioning. Hopefully, it should be perfect for Christmas.

Thanks again for posting the details.

GhostShip

Reaction score
Tried the first pint of my stout tonight. As mentioned above, I followed halfpint’s recipe to the letter.

The big disappointment is that I’m not getting any coffee flavour at all. However, if I leave that aside, it’s a really nice pint. Maybe slightly over-carbed, but tastes really clean and malty with a nice bitter after taste. Not the remotest hint of twang!

Will try this again sometime, but I would add more coffee. Meanwhile, I’m looking forward to cold, dark January nights with my stout by my side. Happy Christmas, everyone.

GhostShip

Reaction score
Well, here I am just over a month later, watching the football with a pint of my Cream Stout. It’s amazing how these beers mature in the bottle. It’s now a lovely, smooth malty stout, with a very definite finish of... coffee!! (See my post above).

This is a cracking pint and one I’ll definitely do again.

stephen1546

Regular.
Reaction score
Had a couple of them yesterday, been in the bottle a couple of months. A decent pint.

Reaction score
Found my last bottle of St. Peter’s cream stout kit. Brewed straight on the 10th Feb 2018, bottled 8th March 2018. Came in at
5.2% ish. So nearly 2 years in the bottle , incredible mouth feel & everything a cream stout should be. You could tweak this with a bit more lactose & some cocoa nibs but to be honest if I made it again I would age it & leave it 2 years & brew straight again. Cheers