Upgraded FV more efficient?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz Chaz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Recently upgraded from heavy plastic fv to Klarstein stainless steel.
Was rather surprised to find on the brews that have been done in the Klarstein so far, fermentation has been quicker!

Both brews have had a similar grain bill, small change in hops, same yeast.
Both cooled to 24 degrees from boiler, dropped into FV and yeast stirred in as usual.
Inkbird set to 21 degrees.
On both brews, final gravity has been reached in 10 days!

Maybe the ss keeps or reacts to the temperature better than plastic? Altough there is no logic to it, but the change to ss seems to have brought about a slight change in timing?

10 days, I can't wait that long. 😱

I guess it depends on the recipe. The greatest influence of fermentation speed is temperatrure. Has this changed?

Hi MashBag

Temperature in the brew fridge is my 'normal' settings, recipe, grain bill and yeast same as usual (still concentrating on getting gluten free for OH so really focussing on recipe) hops, minor tweaks.

The only change is the FV, was using quite a thick walled plastic vessel, but recently moved to the Klarstein stainless. Suddenly fermentation is complete in 10 days, weird, but literally the only difference is the FV. So was wondering if anyone else saw a difference when moving to SS? Which made me wonder if SS is more effective regarding heat?

Last edited:
stainless steel heats and cools quicker than plastic. so there's less lag time when temperature changes. the shape of the fv may make a slight difference. Id be suprized if there was an accelerated catalytic type reaction between the wort/beer/ss

Latest posts

Back