Stanley Tucci: Searching For Italy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Series 1 & 2 on iplayer now -

Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy

Series 1: 1. Naples and the Amalfi Coast

Academy Award nominee Stanley Tucci travels across Italy to discover the secrets and delights of the country’s regional cuisines. Tucci comes prepared with a bottomless appetite for it all, showing us how the diversity of Italian cooking offers a gateway through which you can glimpse Italy’s history and culture.
Naples is the third-largest city in Italy, but its history and beauty has been tainted with underdog status from close association with Vesuvius – the world’s most dangerous volcano, the Camorra – a notorious branch of the local mafia - and poverty.
In the historic Spanish quarter, Stanley meets professor Elisabetta Moro, who takes him to the last authentic fried pizza maker, Fernanda’s. Stanley embarks on a whirlwind tour to find the freshest mozzarella and the best San Marzano tomatoes with Enzo Coccia, the proud king of Neapolitan pizza, to learn the secret art of arguably the world’s best pizza. The local Roma population have joined forces with the Neapolitans, and Stanley samples their mouth-watering culinary fusions before continuing his journey to the island of Ischia and the beautiful Amalfi Coast to revisit some spectacular regional dishes.
Neapolitans have survived volcanoes, earthquakes, pandemics, war and poverty. In defiant life-affirming responses, they have given the world incredible dishes to be shared and enjoyed by billions.
A RAW Production for CNN Original Series. Less
  • Duration42 mins
  • First shown7:20pm 27 Feb 2022
  • Available for over a year

I watched the programme in Bologna. Great food and the home of ragù but, Bologna is just outside the Parmigiano Reggiano production area. He could have done a couple of programmes just staying in Emilia Romagna (cheese, various cured hams, balsamic vinegar, wines ......).
I can vouch for his enthusiasm for Umbria. Great place to visit, eat and drink.

Absolutely love the show, a breath of fresh air to the regular foody type shows currently on TV and so jealous out of the bloke as he gets to explore a beautiful country and no doubt gets paid for doing it.

Jealousy aside, a brilliant show and hope he makes a second series.

Absolutely love the show, a breath of fresh air to the regular foody type shows currently on TV and so jealous out of the bloke as he gets to explore a beautiful country and no doubt gets paid for doing it.

Jealousy aside, a brilliant show and hope he makes a second series.
We are on the second series atm

I watched the first episode of season one and promptly booked 3 nights in the hotel where the storm hit (La Scoglio). Excellent restaurant :)

As an update for the recipes I have burgled, here is my approximation of Francesco Mazzeis scallops from the London episode.

I substituted the mash for Cauliflower puree, which I am glad off. It was fantastic.

Attachments

• 20221104_191815.jpg
    20221104_191815.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 0
I was going to do the Costardi Bros coffee and beer risotto tonight but the wife wanted duck, so instead I am taking some elements of their risotto.... Veg stock. Toasting the rice first, no oil or garlic or onions, and making a parmesan cream.

I will have a go at the beer rduction another time.

Back