Star San - What's it all about

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notlaw

Dubbel Dragon
Reaction score
Ok, I may take the plunge and get some star san. It seems expensive though. At about £12 for the 250ish ml bottle, how long would that bottle last?

Everyone seems to rate it highly, so hit me with your best sales patter.

It's the most simple to use disinfectant that you don't have to rinse. mix it at a ratio of 1.8ml to 1l so it should last a good bit I mix and out into a sprayer so I get it to last the longest

Well I've had my bottle for over three years now and it's still half full. The big "pro" of it or me is it's no-rinse so you can just stick it in a spray bottle and spray stuff you need to sanitise-REALLY convenient

So if you mix some in a bucket to dunk stuff in, how long is that bucketful still good for? Cat you just stick the lid on the bucket and keep it for future use?

So if you mix some in a bucket to dunk stuff in, how long is that bucketful still good for? Cat you just stick the lid on the bucket and keep it for future use?

Yup. I have a permenant jerry can of the stuff which I top up now and then. No idea how long it keeps.I just have mine for weeks at a time. As long as the PH is below (iirc) 3, I think it's good more or less forever

Also just started using it. Bought a 5L container of de-ionised water from Halfords (Battery top up water) for it's PH neutrality. Added the recommended dose of StarSan to it which isn't even a full squirt into the measuring bit of the bottle. Used a tiny bit of the 5L last night on my brew, good few squirts from a sprayer into the FV and lid, let that sit for a while then used the residue with a few kitchen towels to give everything else a wipe (stirring spoon, hydrometer and thermometer).

On that basis one bottle of StarSan should last me ages :)

Saves time, money in the long run, no risk of adding off flavours and I haven't had any form of infection (touchwood!) since I started using it. Its a must have in my opinion, get some!

been using it for over a year more than 1/2 a bottle left and that's because I didn't re-use it at first :doh:

low ph water is needed volvic or ashbeck worked for me ph7 or below. Then when i've finished with it I pour back into the bottles. I put a few drops on half a strip of litmus paper (why use a whole one?) to check the ph is still ok.

Why do you say that CB? Yes they're cheaper and more easily available alternatives (e.g. 17p/2L thin bleach) but It's the convenience of no-rinse that sells it for me

I'm a Milton man; I've always used it so it's a bit 'if it ain't broke...' It's available pretty much everywhere and it's also no rinse. I still rinse anyway, just as I would with Star San.

Dave

My local homebrew shop has said they won't stock it because they can't put a realistic Mark-up on it and expect people to pay it.

So....

The owners of the store have had a chemist analyse a bottle of starsan in view of producing the same no rinse product for cheap.

Me, I just use baby bottle cleaning fluid, a quid from my local discount store, which happens to be behind my house. The bottle even states instructions for homebrew use. I just rinse it quickly after and have never had a problem.

I know starsan is a 'no rinse' product but I would still rinse it. Maybe just me being a little hippyish in that I want to know what I've put in my brews.

I'm a Milton man; I've always used it so it's a bit 'if it ain't broke...' It's available pretty much everywhere and it's also no rinse. I still rinse anyway, just as I would with Star San.

Dave

Fair enuff :thumb:

I started out using milton when I first started brewing but always rinsed it off. I think potentially you could get chloropenols (tcp off taste) produced by the yeast but I think with water that doesn't have high chlorine levels you could possibly get away with not rinsing

I might try this at some point though i might also stick with the milton tabs i find them cheap enough one tab makes 5 litres and its no rinse though i do drain residues off just in case it could taint the brew ,
If its good enough for babies it's good enough for my brew i hope .....
I guess I'm also a Milton man .

I believe Starsan, doesn't work if mixed with 'Hard" tap water...my water is hard as nails...so would have to mix with bottled water I guess

Just get some ya big Jessie. You won't regret it.

Aye, go on then. I'll order some in and give it a wazz.

I believe Starsan, doesn't work if mixed with 'Hard" tap water...my water is hard as nails...so would have to mix with bottled water I guess

Mine's soft as shyte, so I should be fine.

Latest posts

Back