Starsan and citric acid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpt

Brewing without a hat
Reaction score
Has anyone made up a Starsan solution using their tap water and citric acid (or another acid). With my tap water the solution goes pretty cloudy (even though the water's alkalinity and hardness is fairly low) so I tried adding a couple of teaspoons of citric acid to the 5L but it is still cloudy. Maybe I needed much more acid than this or perhaps you have to add the citric acid before the Starsan, although the 5 Star literature does talk about sweetening a Starsan solution that has gone cloudy with more Starsan or phosphoric acid. (Although it may no longer be no-rinse if you do this).

Phosphoric acid is preferred because it is an ingredient (not the active one) of starsan. Phosphoric acid is also a Strong mineral acid unlike citric which is a weak organic acid

My water is pretty soft (16-20ppm Calcium and 24-36 ppm Alkalinity) and even that turns the starsan cloudy. I have much better success with Tescos Ashbeck water (Other Tesco waters are available but they are NOT suitable)

I use Ashbeck water too but thought I would try tap water since its alkalinity has fallen from 74ppm as CaCO3 to 22ppm (as measured by the Salifert kit). I'm guessing that Yorkshire Water are drawing more from the moor with increased rainfall at this time of year so I expect it will go back up in the spring.

Have you tested the pH of a Starsan solution made with your tap water? (I'm assuming you have a decent pH meter). Mine appears to be nicely acidic with a test paper but, as you have commented before, I'm not sure that's a very reliable test.

evanvine said:
Ashbeck water (Other Tesco waters are available but they are NOT suitable)
:wha:
Tesco Ashbeck has very low levels of minerals, the other waters that are bottled under their own Brand have MUCH higher mineral content and therefore make the starsan turn cloudy . . . which may or may not be an indication that it is ineffective . . . but for the difference in cost (pennies) it's makes mores sense to buy the one that is known to work.

Latest posts

Back