Started St Peters Golden Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibbs1972

Reaction score
Hi, I've just started my first Golden Ale.

Hopefully, it will be a nice easy drinking light spring/summer ale.

Easy to make with a 2 can kit.
Added hops (powdered) and yeast when temp was between 18-20 Degrees Celcius

OG = 1.040, expecting between 4 and 4.7% ABV, not too high.
Something light to help chill out after a busy day at work, but not heavy enough to stop me getting up for work the next day.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2lMK0-unVk[/ame]

Happy days...
Fermenting has started.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QahMjMJ0Zq4[/ame]

Good luck
The commercial bottles a decent beer IMO,hope it turns out well,if your not sure if it tastes right pm me for my address and I will test a sample bottle :drink::-D

Thanks for the offer, its a few weeks away yet, I'll keep you in mind.
icon_e_smile.gif

I brewed this recently and found it an easy enough kit to do.

Took a while to mature but now two months after bottling, it's an excellent beer with lots of flavour. I didn't use the full hop packet though, as I wasn't sure I wanted so much bitterness but it's hoppy enough for me.

My friends and colleagues have loved it and I'm struggling to keep bottles aside so I can enjoy them in the summer!

Definitely a kit to brew again, so good luck with yours!

I brewed this one last spring and was a lovely pint but as weenie said, it took a very long time to get to it's best. Give it 2-3 months at least and you'll have a very quaffable pint.

I brewed this recently and found it an easy enough kit to do.

Took a while to mature but now two months after bottling, it's an excellent beer with lots of flavour. I didn't use the full hop packet though, as I wasn't sure I wanted so much bitterness but it's hoppy enough for me.

My friends and colleagues have loved it and I'm struggling to keep bottles aside so I can enjoy them in the summer!

Definitely a kit to brew again, so good luck with yours!

I think I read something about the hop packet before, so I only put 3/4 in.

I had this issue on a barrel of IPA before, but after a month conditioning in the barrel, the bitterness reduced dramatically, so maybe time is always the answer.

I brewed this one last spring and was a lovely pint but as weenie said, it took a very long time to get to it's best. Give it 2-3 months at least and you'll have a very quaffable pint.

I hope I can last that long, I've only got 48 bottles left.

At the moment, I'm saving 6 from every brew.

On the cold shelf I've got

Coopers Irish Stout
Muntons Gold Old English Bitter
Brewmaster Shamrock Velvet Stout
and soon the St Peters Golden Ale.

I'm also starting Festival Golden Stag Summer Ale this weekend.

I'll try and leave 6 of each batch in bottles for a couple more months and see what the difference is to 2/3 weeks after brewing.

The St. peter's was the second kit that I did and I enjoyed it so much I did another batch not long ago, a fantastic pint.
The Festival Golden Stag also makes a great pint, probably my 2 favourite kits.
I've also started saving a couple of bottles from each batch and going to try to not touch them for as long as possible - probably about 2 weeks knowing me :drink:

Cheers

The St. peter's was the second kit that I did and I enjoyed it so much I did another batch not long ago, a fantastic pint.
The Festival Golden Stag also makes a great pint, probably my 2 favourite kits.
I've also started saving a couple of bottles from each batch and going to try to not touch them for as long as possible - probably about 2 weeks knowing me :drink:

Cheers

Good luck with keeping your hands off, I suppose the best way to save bottles is to keep a brew on the go all the time and replensih stocks. I tend to crack open a bottle as soon as I get in from work. I don't know how I managed before. I only started brewing in November.

I've just put this in the King Keg today. This is my first brew in four months because of work and so I'm eager to get this one in drinking condition. I'm planning to start drinking it on February 13th. I'm sure it'll still be a little green by then, but I've got to stop buying beer, it costs a fortune.

Wait until you try the Golden Stag :electric:
Not that te others aren't any good,but the Festival and the Youngs American range are ahead of the game as far as I'm concerned.

I bottled the golden ale last night. I got 30 bottles out of the fermenter, as I didn't want any of the rubbish at the bottom. I know its a waste of good beer, maybe I'll be able to judge the siphoning better with experience.

There was a lot of hops on top, which I managed to remove with a sanitized kitchen sieve before siphoning.

I got a final gravity reading of 1.008 after 15 days in the fermenter, so should have an
ABV of 4.2%.

It should be ready for drinking around the 4th March.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1R1BeZ3EpQ[/ame]

Back