starter for a 1 barrel 160 liter batch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer brown

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey all
Just have a question regarding large yeast starters. Id like to ferment 160 liters of 1040'ish wort with some WPL001. Is this correct:

1) Make up 600ml 1040 DME and throw in a vial of WPL001
2) Leave to ferment and settle for 3 days at 20c
3) Make up 3 liters of 1040 DME and add just the yeast from the 600ml starter. Leave for 3 days.
4) Repeat with 1 gallon of 1040 DME wort.. Leave for 3 days and then pitch within a few days.

I've only ever done 600ml starter for my 25 liter batches

Any help appreciated!

all i can say to that is 1 fresh vial with a 1040 liter starter will give you around 180/220 billion cells , so that's around right for 23 liter batch . Divide 23 into 160 roughly gives you 7, so around 6 to 7 liter starter would be needed i make that and it's also best to go in stages as you say from 1 liter then add 2 liters after 2 days then another 2 liters then the last liter 24 hrs before pitching and i would just pitch the lot in .

Thanks for that Pittsy,
So each time it finishes do I just pour the old DME out and refile with the next larger volume of DME? Im guessing this will take a good week to prep?

Check out Mr Malty. There's a pitching rate calculator on their web site and info on starters etc.

@Farmer Brown,Effectively the answer is yes to your question. You don't have to be too rigerous as what we are talking abut it how long a yeast starter will take to go thru phase 1 (growing to sufficient size to handle the brew) if you pitch the correct amount it should start within 12/24 hrs but if you are a bit short it will take a little longer.

Suggest you get yourself a copy of "Yeast" by White and Zainasheff, its the bible on yeast, and its a good read if you are interested in how yeast works.

Good luck!! :thumb: :thumb:

Many thanks, I just ordered that book LeithR.. It's a biti if a grey area for me so time to get back to some books!
Thanks all.. For now ill be sticking to dry yeast until I feel confident making big starters

A magnetic stir plate and stir bar will significantly increase your cell growth rate :geek:

You can make a stir plate using an 12v PC fan and some magnets from an old hard disk.

8871083373_302db7e223_z.jpg

Sorry to hijack farmer brown :whistle:

BB, I also have that switch but cant work out how to wire it up to get the light to work.

Do you have any pictures or wiring diagrams?

joe1002 said:

BB, I also have that switch but cant work out how to wire it up to get the light to work.

From memory the pins were numbered 1, 2, 3, and I think 3 was a different colour (gold?) which is ground. 1 was power in (from the phone charger in my case); 2 was power out (to the fan); and 3 links in with the negative.

Just found this YouTube video which helps a bit.

I don't have a diagram, but if you're still stuck I can pop open my stirplate and take a photo.

Edit: Found this video too - search keywords are "spst illuminated rocker switch wiring".

I would suggest making a smaller batch of the beer a couple of days before the main one say around 25Litres and use that as your starter!!!

It's what I do for my lagers.

I colony for yeast slant -> 2ml - 18-24 hours -> 20ml for 18-24 Hours -> 200ml 18-24 hours - 20L on stir plate for 48 hours - 25L for 48 hours . . . . Oxygenate . . . then pitch into big batch (which is also well oxygenated)

My big batch is around 1/2BBL, but I have not had any issues with this approach pitching at 8-9C, I normally get good krausen within 12-18 hours. Pitching 1BBL at 20C with an ale yeast should be a simple task.

bunkerbrewer said:
joe1002 said:

From memory the pins were numbered 1, 2, 3, and I think 3 was a different colour (gold?) which is ground. 1 was power in (from the phone charger in my case); 2 was power out (to the fan); and 3 links in with the negative.

Just found this YouTube video which helps a bit.

I don't have a diagram, but if you're still stuck I can pop open my stirplate and take a photo.

Edit: Found this video too - search keywords are "spst illuminated rocker switch wiring".

Thanks very much BB, your description makes sense. I'll check out the links at lunch time :thumb:

pittsy said:
all i can say to that is 1 fresh vial with a 1040 liter starter will give you around 180/220 billion cells , so that's around right for 23 liter batch . Divide 23 into 160 roughly gives you 7, so around 6 to 7 liter starter would be needed i make that and it's also best to go in stages as you say from 1 liter then add 2 liters after 2 days then another 2 liters then the last liter 24 hrs before pitching and i would just pitch the lot in .

afraid that's not true. yeast doesn't grow in ratio like that as you step up- you're best using one of the calcs online

that book is awesome and explains pretty much everything you need to know

farmer brown said:
Will a 1 gallon demijon work on that stirplate?
Love that green light :thumb:

Nope! I tried that, thinking I could get away without buying a 2L Erlenmeyer flask. But the bottom of a DJ (mine, at least) is rounded, so the magnetic stir bar didn't stay in place.

If you've got a flat-bottomed DJ, that might work.

Back