Starter Pack

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alicout

Reaction score
Just thought I would share some of my experiences so far. I started off buying Youngs Brewbuddy kit from Tesco.com. Starter pack £26 with extra extract can £12. Then I took ages to get started and looked on every website for tips etc. I then actually got round to brewing. First I ordered 6 mini kegs plus a beer king tap with CO2, 16g cartridges. A bottle capper, brewing sugar and caps, £88 before you could blink. I brewed my first Youngs Lager with normal sugar, but kept on looking in to the fermentor, introducing air!!! The lager was fine, especially in the bottles. The kegs were all foam and clear when no C02 added, but cloudy when added. Still tasted ok and 6 days ferment, 6 days in house and 3 days in fridge.
Second batch was the same, but with brewing sugar and fermenting was left for 7 days. 7 days in house and 7 days in fridge. Much better. No foam in kegs and CO2 added stayed clear. Unfortunately all 3 kegs went at Party last weekend and now all 80 pints gone in 5 weeks.
3rd order went to Brewsmarter.com for Coopers Canadian Blonde x2, European Lager, Sparkling Ale, spraymalt, brewing sugar, more caps, steriliser. 1x Canadian blonde is bottled/kegged, European Lager is fermenting behind me on the sofa. another £80. Add in £30 for a secondhand beer fridge (bargain as it was only a year old) and I have spent £240 for 240 pints so far.
I have used carb drops so far, but the last batch I disolved 300g sugar in 450ml of boiling water (600ml total) and used a syringe to prime as carb drops are very expensive for what they are. Will let you know the outcome.
So far so good and it is better then bought beer, even stella!

Hello and welcome! Sounds like you're having fun and have discovered the best bits of homebrewing. Addictive properties of the hobby itself and better beer than you can buy for less than a pound a pint...

300g in 23l is 13g/l or 7g per bottle which is quite a lot...

a 5ml (teaspoon) meaure of brewing sugar comes in at about 4g and that's plenty for a lager or a cider and way too much for an ale.

You could also make your life a lot easier when bottling by having a dedicated bottling bucket - a standard 5 gallon FV with a little bottler. Then batch prime your beer by making up the syrup either with water or a bit of beer adding that to the sterilised bottling bucket then siphoning the rest of the beer on top then bottling from there. For the sake of another tenner for the FV and seven quid for the bottler...

...well worth it I reckon! :cheers:

Welcome! I agree about the bottling bucket far quicker and easier to bottle and gives you more options with priming. Enjoy your beers

I think bottling bucket and a few more mini kegs in next order. Also try a premium 3kg kit as I £65 you get free delivery!!
I put 2 carb drops in 500ml bottles, then 1 in some others for a test and preffered the more fizzy taste when served realy cold. Left a good inch or so in each bottle.

Really appreciate the advise though, I know I have a lot to lean, but when minimum price comes in here I think 50p a pint against £1.20 is tremedous saving. Enjoyed drinking bottles of beer just to get the 100 or so I have collected till now. Sticky labels no match for boiling water, a chisel and skin so soft from Avon!!

Welcome :thumb:

If you are on a bit of a budget then you could pop down to your local indian and see if you can get a mango barrel. The 40kg ones are about 35L so perfect for brewing. The only issue is removing the smell from them but if it is just for bottling then the beer will not be in it long enough to affect the taste.

alicout said:
Sticky labels no match for boiling water, a chisel and skin so soft from Avon!!

Is there anything that stuff doesn't do? (Apart from making MY skin anywhere near soft - all Avon products make me red and scabby...)

Latest posts

Back