Staycation.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A new one that has made it into the hymn sheer recently is "interlocutor", a word I was never even aware of in my 52 years on this planet until the last year. Anyone else come across it?
Good old Sir Humphrey used it once or twice in Yes Minister while trying to tie Jim Hacker in verbal knots!

A new one that has made it into the hymn sheer recently is "interlocutor", a word I was never even aware of in my 52 years on this planet until the last year. Anyone else come across it?
Isn't that what connects to the Hyper Drive on a Millennium Falcon?

I loved Sir Humphrey's play on words.

I read a lot of ancient "mega packs" on my Kindle and I think that it's a real shame that many of the words that we used in our vocabulary only a few years ago have disappeared from common use; and I have to confess that I have to look up a word about twice every day!

I blame the US and their simplification of the English Language.

One American manager once said to me "Just stop using that fancy English language when you argue with me." when all I had done was use the word "bucolic"! aheadbutt

Sir Humphrey would have had a field day with the Americans! :thumb:

I was once asked by an American chap to 'speak English' when we were debating something. Made me chuckle. I was also once on a conference call with an American VOIP provider, and was told by the giggling lady at the end of the phone that I sounded 'just like Hugh Grant'. I didn't know he was a Lincolnshire lad! :laugh8:

Chap works with me,dad's a Scouser...on a cruise round the Caribbean last year they get talking to some Americans...they ask about his accent...when he says he's from Liverpool one lady replies.."oh my gosh,do you know the Beatles...?"... apparently her husband had the look about him of jumping over board ..

Back