stc 1000 probes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrlard

Reaction score
Has anyone used an STC 1000 probe actually in sat in their wort to control ferment temps

My problem is i got my conical sorted out but won't have a shiny stainless probe for at least 3 weeks or so BUT this weekend is looking clear for a brew day and stock are low

I am thinking about star-san-ing the life out of the probe and whacking it in there

your thoughts?

Now this is interesting. I have been thinking the same for a while now. Where would someone buy a metal probe from though to replace the plastic one

Southern Temperature sensors made mine, NTC curve 8 apparently, says the receipt (I know nothing about sensor types, STS deduced that from my STC1000 data sheet and it's accurate compared to my PT100's so I'm happy). I'm not sure if Cedaronics would do them, worth an ask :hmm:

Am getting STS to sort mine out to plus a couple of pt100 Sat in 1/2" threads for me HERMS :thumb: cheers vossy :drink:

will post my order ref up when I get it if that's any use for future orders

I've made a Thermowell out of some 8mm (OD) 316 Stainless, and an end cap (also 316 stainless)

The probe is shoved in, with some thermal paste at the bottom, and some hellermann neoprene sleeve at the top. It looks a little weird, but it'll sit in my FV nicely.

Now, just need to clear my new garage, get the fridge sorted, pop in the tube heater, sort the STC-1000, make a mash tun, HLT, boiler, sparge arm, and get 'leccy in there. (I've just moved house....)

Not much :whistle:

I should be able to do a kit, in the fridge, sooooooon!

The probe is shoved in, with some thermal paste at the bottom, and some hellermann neoprene sleeve at the top. It looks a little weird, but it'll sit in my FV nicely.
As long as it does the job who cares what it looks like :cool:
Now, just need to clear my new garage, get the fridge sorted, pop in the tube heater, sort the STC-1000, make a mash tun, HLT, boiler, sparge arm, and get 'leccy in there. (I've just moved house....)
:shock: You'll be sorted in no time :lol: :cool:

Apologies for my ignorance, but whats the difference between the normal plastic probe and a stainless probe (apart from the fact it's shiney)?

Very little really, a few I can think of,

metal conducts heat more efficiently than plastic
it's easier to sanitise stainless ie, it doesn't really react to anything other than long term immersion in chlorine sanitisers is to be avoided due to risk of pitting.
plastic scratches more readily then stainless, meaning more places for bacteria to hide
I'm not too sure what plastic is used to make them

There's no real reason to use one over the other, it's what you're happiest with :thumb:

Thanks for the quick response JP.

I did think of the whole conductivity thing, but not the other points you mention. :thumb:

Think i will stick with my plastic probe for the time being, but I can see myself getting a shiney one in the future. It's small enough SWMBO won't notice it's arrival ;)

I did think of the whole conductivity thing, but not the other points you mention. :thumb:
Think i will stick with my plastic probe for the time being, but I can see myself getting a shiney one in the future. It's small enough SWMBO won't notice it's arrival
TBH, I don't think the conductivity thing is really a problem, after all we are talking immersion.
I've only ever used the plastic and plastic/metal combo ATC800 and STC1000 probes, for the last 5+ years with no problem. I have the shiny ones but they are yet to be used in anger :oops:

To add to V's answer, the "plastic" ones are commonly a PVC sheath which is likely to be rated at up to 70C. If you were to go above that temp, you might stand the chance of leeching plasticisers from it but I am no plastics expect so happy to be corrected. Obviously a stainless one is fine though :thumb:

Thanks chaps :thumb:

eskimobob said:
To add to V's answer, the "plastic" ones are commonly a PVC sheath which is likely to be rated at up to 70C. If you were to go above that temp, you might stand the chance of leeching plasticisers from it but I am no plastics expect so happy to be corrected. Obviously a stainless one is fine though :thumb:

I will only be using it to control the temp in my fv for the time being so should be ok. :thumb:

This is not an endorsement, I have not bought from these chaps, but post as a reference (and because they do look good!!)

TC Direct make plastic thermowell's out of PTFE which I believe is inert, so no leaching as per eskimobob's notes above.

I just found them whilst wandering round t'interweb, I have no idea if they are competitive or not.

miker7301 said:
This is not an endorsement, I have not bought from these chaps, but post as a reference (and because they do look good!!)

TC Direct make plastic thermowell's out of PTFE which I believe is inert, so no leaching as per eskimobob's notes above.

I just found them whilst wandering round t'interweb, I have no idea if they are competitive or not.

Very pricey :eek:

What probes is it the STC1000s use? Is it type k?

miker7301 said:
Mine has type K, but that may not be true of all STC-1000's....

I think I'll keep my eye out for a type-k version then, I can get them through work... stainless and long too :D

miker7301 said:

eek :eek:
The price is hugely more than the equivalent stainless ones - I'd go with stainless myself :thumb:

I hadn't looked at the prices TBH, are the stainless thermowell's also overpriced?

I was looking for some, but prices are hard to find on t'interwebs, most places only quote on big orders...

Cheers,
Mike

Latest posts

Back