stepping into the "darkside"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagerlad

Reaction score
Hi lads and lassies,taking my first step into the ag brewing tomorrow just gonna do a 4.5 litre to start with so I can do it in demijohn as my fvs are full at the moment,I am into IPA s and Belgian style beers and wheat beers mainly but try anything ....i have pale malt,crystal malt and wheat malt and some cascade hops and us05 yeast anyone out there got a recipe I can use. . . Cheers lagerlad

The US05 lends itself to IPA. Use 1kg pale malt and 50 to 100g crystal. Cascade is ideal, put 5g in at the start of the boil and maybe 20g in at the end of the boil to steep for 30 mins.

Sounds simple, but most IPAs are. Most beers are in fact.

Yeah no worries with a DJ although if you can get hold of one quickly I prefer 4.5 litre batches of ale to be done in an ex spring water 5 litre PET. ne real reason just my prejudice

I was just gonna do it the same as your simple ag as in timewise clibit so do I add second lot of hops once I turn boil off and leave for half an hour and take them out,,,,have to be demi this time but got big pot etc gonna try and get a 15 litre fermenting bin asap,problem is I gotta get it mail order and the post is a killer but I want to start 10 litre brews asap cheers lagerlad

Meant to say the yeast is in standard size packs ie sachets should I split it to get a few brews or one per brew ta

Hi mate are you local forfar shut a while ago there is ljm in Dundee but not got massive stock but very helpful and nice so I had to go to Edinburgh for my stuff ...too far to go every week tho !

Was suggesting a greater quantity of hops, after switching off, to get a more IPA hoppiness. Then leave it alone for 30 mins, then cool.

Don't use all the yeast, just about s quarter of the packet, roughly.

Was suggesting a greater quantity of hops, after switching off, to get a more IPA hoppiness. Then leave it alone for 30 mins, then cool.

Don't use all the yeast, just about s quarter of the packet, roughly.

So is that's like -

5G @ 60mins
20g @ 0 mins

Leave hot for 30 mins for steeping

Cool?

Just not I got that.

Gonna do that as I love the hoppiness,sounds great.....edinburgh stock all sizes of fv gonna go back in about a month once I learn a bit about ag brewing and what hops and grain I should have at hand got a couple of kits going just now and was gifted a 36 pint pin of cider tonight so as soon as I can legally drive haha cheers lagerlad

Latest posts

Back