Stout recipe help?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee117

Reaction score
What do you think of this recipe

5us gallon
Simply export stout kit
1.5lbs chocolate malt
2lbs flaked oats
1lbs crystal malt
2oz Kent Golding pellets
0.5 oz northern brewer pellets
1tblsp Irish moss
Rice hulls
Wyeast 1083

Primary 7
Secondary 7

OG 1.071
Fg 1.018

Any feedback would be good

Thanks
5735d7b6b7dbf198bc0ae055c96a2c7e.jpg

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Kent and northern brew hops are fine for a bog standard stout. And the yeast strain looks good too. However I dont understand pounds. Those units just makes my head hurt.

KG's here please as we are mostly European.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since you're starting out with stout extract I doubt that you need much, if any, chocolate malt or much crystal.
I'm pretty sure that you'll need to mash the flaked oats with some 2 or 6 row base grain. Perhaps some oat malt would be a better choice.
I'd leave a 1.071 O G beer in primary for three weeks and there's no reason to even do a secondary.

Since you're starting out with stout extract I doubt that you need much, if any, chocolate malt or much crystal.
I'm pretty sure that you'll need to mash the flaked oats with some 2 or 6 row base grain. Perhaps some oat malt would be a better choice.
I'd leave a 1.071 O G beer in primary for three weeks and there's no reason to even do a secondary.

Sorry my bad, I got the recipe of the Internet Andover forgot to mention that I wanted to make a chocolate stout, and I'll get some Base grain thank you and apologies for my mistake

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Apart from the oats I wouldnt bother with any of the other malts, also leave out the irish moss, not that there's anything wrong with it but its just not needed here. Let us know how it goes :)

id cut down the amount of specialty malts...maybe leave out everything apart from the chocolate malt, just add less of it. for 5 gallons you'd probably want about less that half of what your suggesting. maybe only 200-250g for a batch that size. Also that's a lot of hops for a stout.... don't forget the Export kit is pre hoppped. if i was going to to hop additions to a stout id stick to one hop and do around 15-20g per 20Litres.

Latest posts

Back