Strange occurence of bottled beer.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norse John

Reaction score
I bottled a few of weeks ago a pilsner, and had maybe added a little bit too much sugar to the 5 gallons prior to bottling - probably about 200g.

As expected, the plastic bottles are highly pressurised now. I awoke a couple mornings past to find a leak, expecting a split bottle. But strangely enough, the bottle in question was completely unblemished, the lid still on a quite tight, upright and entirely devoid of any liquid asides from sediment in the bottom. I even squeeze tested the bottle and it was slightly pressurised. It is almost as though someone has opened it, tipped it out into the cupboard put the lid back on and screwed the cap back on.

Could that one bottle have a small pinhole near the bottom so that it still holds some pressure but when highly pressurised the liquid is forced out?

Someone else on here had this happen, I remember reading almost exactly the same story in the past couple of years...

Latest posts

Back