Strike and sparge water quantities does its matter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, can anyone tell me if it matters what percentage of the water is for strike water and what percentage is for sparge water.? The reason I ask is im doing a 23 litre brew and brewfather says I need 17.16 litres strike water and 15.58 litres sparge. Would it make any difference if I increased the strike water and had less sparge water as long as it still added up to the right amount of water? I'm curious because I heat my sparge water up in a pan and it only fits 10 litres in. Cheers.

There is a long answer to this, but in short higher water to grist ratios do not significantly affect AAL or yield although mashes may take longer due to enzyme dilution.

So that's about 32l of water, for a 23l brew, where does all the water go?

I guess some gets taken away by the grain, and some evaporates, anything else?

Grain absorption around 1 litre per Kg, evaporation around 3 litre per hour, trub loss depending on system, leaf hops will no doubt absorb some as well.

I’ve learnt from experience that I lose about 1.5 gallons in a 1 hour (vigorous) boil so I need to get +6.5 gallons of wort from the mash. Usually ends up around 7. With 4-5 kg of grain I lose around 1 gallon during the mash so start with 8 gallons, 3 gallons go in the initial 1 hour mash and I get around 1.5 gallons of wort from that. I add another 2.5 gallons for 30 minutes gets me up to just under 4 gallons, and the last 2.5 gallons for another 30 minutes gets me to 7 gallons with a squeeze at the end. Just goes to show you can vary the process to suit your equipment and schedule.

Back