stuck airlock/bung

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider Minx

Regular.
Reaction score
I think my bung is stuck it is really deep in demi john and it won't move :(

any ideas how to get it out :(

heres a pic
DSCN7186.jpg

also what is the best temp to keep your cider so it ferments ok

as you can tell I am no cider expert lol I was just sick of seeing all the apples just go to waste on the ground :)

also how do I test the cider with the hydrometer ? should I take a sample out in that test tube thing you get with it? should I do that when I go to bottle it or now?

ok so when it settles fully (I moved it downstairs so it went cloudy) I do this in this order

test cider in the test tube see what hydrometer reads

if it reads around 1000 sterilise bottles and add a teaspoon of sugar in every bottle

pour the cider in bottle through a sterilised tube

leave cider to go fizzy for how long?

Thats right it could take a couple of weeks to months to turn good when its bottled keep warm for a week then move to a cool room or shed to condition. We make turbo cider it usually takes a month from fermenting to drinking :D

just leave it and have a sneaky taste after a couple of weeks. Turbo cider the name comes from the turbo yeast you can use that type of yeast is usually used in liqeur making and are not good for cider, Just use proper cider yeast and leave out the tannin so it matures quicker :D

oooooooooooo but even by tasting it how will I know? I just used wine yeast I think I do have cider yeast but I was told the wine one is better :/

I am going to make nettle beer as soon as they come up lol

pull the air lock out of ur bung and that will make it easyer to pull out i would think and to test the gravity of the cider mix every thing together what u want in it apart from the yeast pore in to ur trial jar an inch below the top of your jar them put your hidromiter in to test the gravity and what ever your starting gravity is thats what percentage it will be so if it starts at 1050 to work it out you do 1050 take 1000 = 50 divide by 7.45 which should be 6.7 once u have done that add your yeast. make sure everything is sterile

oh no Ben I think I have done it wrong then :/

I did it like this

apples sqished and strained into fermenting bucket
tested with hydrometer and added sugar to get the gravity at what it said in leaflet (1080)
added camden tablet
waited 24hr added yeast
waited for bubbling to stop
put in demi john
left for months << this is where it is up to

have I messed the strength up? :(

Cider Minx said:
I tried and so has my dad lol it keeps sucking it back in maybe if I could get the bubbler thing out?

1: get the bubbler out so water doesnt get pulled in

2: man up, its only a little piece of rubber! :D

well I can't get it out we have managed to get the bubbler out but bung is well and truely stuck :( what now? I've put some veg oil on it but still nothing arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I've had my mole grips on it........... nothing

tried to cut the bung out.........won't let me cut him grrr

tried heating the bung up with blow torch lol .................. nothing

not I have rubber bits floating on top :( I think it's a lost cause GUTTED :(

gonna go look for a thinner tube to see if that saves it

got it out

KEBAB SKEWERS :D

it reads 1000 it's put back in clean dj (not with this bung though hehe)

thanks for the help guys

im not sure if u have used pressed apples but all i did was got a dj put 4.5 ltrs of pure apple juice from concentrate then mashed 2 tea bags in hot water take tea bags out obviosly let it cool cos it will kill the yeast add when cool get your hidromiter drop it in the dj to test gravity dont worry about not getting it out because its easy to get out it should read 1050 or for a stronger brew just add 8 oz of sugar once done that add yeast put bung in and air lock with warm water in wait 2 weeks check gravity after 2 weeks if it reads 1000 transfer in to a second dj add splender to make it sweeter if you want wait another week then it should be ready to bottle when it looks clear

Latest posts

Back