Sugar and other ingredients

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llama

Reaction score
Morning chaps,

I've always been a bit of a geek in the kitchen and try to experiment with recipes; One of the reasons I became interested in home brewing!

I have been adding various sugars to brews and wanted to check with you all to see if anyone else had used them or had any other ingredients they have tried,

I mostly brew porter, mild and stronger dark ales. Average ABV is about 7%.

Ingredients:

White sugar
Demerara
Light brown soft sugar - good for baking fudge cakes and cookies
Dark brown soft sugar - perfect for fruit cakes
Muscovado - dark and strong
Molasses - super dark, good in rich marinades and chutneys
Honey
Golden syrup
Black treacle
Butterscotch treacle
And marmalade. I figured, this is just fruit in sugar and have had many aged ales that have a marmalade quality, so wanted to try and add this to a young beer - any thoughts on adding this to a fermenter?

Anyone used any of the above?

Cheers,

Llama

I am sure I read somewhere that because citrus fruits (marmalade) contain pectin this causes clearing issues, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. Either way it would be good to find out as I have had the same thought go through my head while thinking about a making chocolate orange stout.

I have used Muscavado in stout previously and this is documented on another thread on here, and that turned out very nice.

It also appears we think along the same lines about strong dark beers.

I'll let you know how I get on if I try any marmalade Smiley.

Going to try the butterscotch next, along with some treacle.

Experimentation is the way forward :party:

Back