Suggest a suitbale filter set up please!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puravida

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've never needed to filter my beer but after a recent experiment with some aged whisky barrel oak chips I've got oak bits about the size of a grain of sand floating around in the secondary. I did tie the chips up in a muslin bag but these particles managed to escape.

Any suggestions on the best way to filter out before the beer goes into the corny keg?

The beer is dropped completely clear so they are even more obvious!

Cheers

I suppose you could use a water filter type setup? Although the pores in a water filter would probably strip the beer of the good stuff. You may be able adapt it in some way. But it would be expensive for just one brew. A very fine mesh placed around the end of your siphon pickup may work. It would slow the flow but should get rid of the offending particles.

bobsbeer said:
I suppose you could use a water filter type setup? Although the pores in a water filter would probably strip the beer of the good stuff. You may be able adapt it in some way. But it would be expensive for just one brew.
Simply using some #50 mesh should work.

A 10" cartridge filter with a 1micron nominal spun cartridge would do the job perfectly, without, as alleged, taking any flavour from from the beer. . . They can be had pretty cheaply via the Bay of E

Latest posts

Back