Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks chippy I've since got my next juices ready for a free demijohn gonna give a tropical juice drink a try it was only £1 for 750mls so got 2 just need an empty demijohn!!

Just set off another WOW.

1 litre 100% RGJ.
1 litre 100% Apple Juice
1 litre Cranberry/Raspberry Juice (Made from puree's of each plus some other stuff)

Yeast
Nutrient
Glycerine
Pectolase
Citric Acid
3 bag tea brew

Weirdly the above recipe has developed a haze which, I believe is down to Pectin even though I've added Pectolase.

Was bubbling after 30 mins of pitching yeast mind. Phew!!

chrissyteacup said:
thanks chippy I've since got my next juices ready for a free demijohn gonna give a tropical juice drink a try it was only £1 for 750mls so got 2 just need an empty demijohn!!

Are you using grape juice with that?

Welsh_Wizard said:
Weirdly the above recipe has developed a haze which, I believe is down to Pectin even though I've added Pectolase.

Was bubbling after 30 mins of pitching yeast mind. Phew!!

Some juice is very cloudy when you put it in the DJ but always clears, as you have used pectolace i doubt its a pectin haze.

I'm hoping to make a red wine WOW - is that possible?? I naively thought that using RGJ in a WOW would make it a red wine, but all the recipes I've been reading through on this thread (I confess I gave up after page 5!!) seem to suggest that even using RGJ and a dark fruit juice only produces a rose wine.

Are there any WOWs that can be classed as red wine??

Thanks!

No, I have read you need grape skins to make a red wine, you will only get a dark rose however dark the juice is.

Yeah Padster - the redness from red wine comes from fermenting the initial brew WITH the red skins of the red grape.

Should you wish to make rose, you use red grape but don't brew it on the grape skins.

If you want white, you just use white grapes.

Even the most red of red juice will not produce 'red wine'. For example i have set off a red grape juice with a mixed red berry topped up with a cherry juice topper. You couldn't get more red if you tried. Colour now?? Dark Rose at best.

photos of my wows from above the pomegranet seems to be blooping more than the orange!!

image_zps81d3a44d.jpg

image_zps6b465d47.jpg
you cant really see on this but its furiously fizzing like when you first open a fizzy drink and theres that sort of mist where the liquid is popping upward.
image_zps674aa26d.jpg

bubbly looks gross but smells yummy!

I have never seen big bubbles like the ones in the bottom picture, having said that I usually give the DJ, s a good swirl on day two to get the crusty head mixed in.

Haha I hope that's not a bad thing!! It wasn't like it when they were in the garage just brought them in for the pic in the light and there they were

Edited to corect typo silly phone!!

They look fine, you can leave them or swirl them, i don't know if swirling makes them ferment faster its just something i have always done.

CalverleyWinery said:
I have three on the go already from Wednesday night following the general WoW receipe and these seem to be bubbling away nicely.

Apple and tropical (orange, pineapple, banana) 1.5l apple 500ml tropical and all pure juice

Red grape and apple 1l of each again pure juice

Red grape and prune 1l of each again pure juice

Day 6 and the apple and tropical is down to a bubble ever 25 seconds or so. I've tested the hydrometer ands its coming in about 0.995 if I'm reading it right so at the very dry end but tastes fairly balanced. Should I stop fermention now?? I never took an initial reading but followed basic wow receipe. Help appreciated!

Leave it until you are only seeing a bubble every couple of minutes, at one every 25 seconds it has not finished.

Asda blackcurrant concentrate V's Ribena (without sweeteners)

Purchased 4 Ribena and two Asda own brand Blackurrant taste tested the neat juice - no contest ASDA wins hands down for flavour.

Just thought you would like to know.

I have made one batch of 2 Ribena original to 1 Asda Blackcurrent and red grape concentrate -very good.
Next time I need blackcurrant I will buy ASDA own brand and forget Ribena -there is no substitute for flavour.

I''ve racked the Tesco Apple and raspberry wow and tasted it and already it's lovely. I''ve put the Marlborough Sauvignon blanc recipe on and it's the most violent fermenter to date! I had to split it into 2 djs after the yeast came out of the airlock for the 3rd time. It's calmed now so topped up and I''ll be adding the passionfruit juice tomorrow, really looking forward to trying it.

rosie said:
Asda blackcurrant concentrate V's Ribena (without sweeteners)

Purchased 4 Ribena and two Asda own brand Blackurrant taste tested the neat juice - no contest ASDA wins hands down for flavour.

Just thought you would like to know.

I have made one batch of 2 Ribena original to 1 Asda Blackcurrent and red grape concentrate -very good.
Next time I need blackcurrant I will buy ASDA own brand and forget Ribena -there is no substitute for flavour.

Apple,raspberry and WGJ is one wine I make every time I have my wine making days, I tend to make two DJ, s of this and a third of something different usually an experiment with a new juice.

Back