Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started my first WOW variant this week, RGJ + AJ actually. I went by the book for all additions but noticed after adding the pectolase that the label suggested 1-2tsp per 5 gal, so 1 tsp in 1 gal seems like a lot. Should I have used less or is there a good reason for using that much? The juices used are pretty clear so I'm not sure if there is a lot of pectin in there to start with.

Also adding 1tsp of yeast felt like a lot too, I used general purpose GV1 wine yeast and it says one sachet can ferment up to 5 gal. Adding 1tsp seemed to be well over half the sachet so enough for at least twice or maybe three times my batch size. I recall reading a few times that a slow ferment can result in a better wine, so why over pitch like this?

As expected my batch started bubbling and foaming after about 2 hours, after 12 hours it had a lot of foam. Day three the foam has gone but the bubbling is still rapid and it looks like a glass of soda. The smell isn't great, but I've read that this is to be expected.

LeeH use the same recipe but use one litre of each juice and one teaspoon of all the ingredients, a three teabag brew will do for the tannin.

Chippy_Tea said:
JKP you could reduce the amount of pectolace and yeast but at the price is it worth the risk?

I see your point, but I wasn't thinking of making drastic changes like cutting the additions by half. Although I don't think it would matter so much with the pectolase as the only danger is that it doesn't clear, but for the yeast of course it might be more tricky. My only concern is that over pitching the yeast is going for speed over quality. In any case I'll see how this batch goes first.

Just started a Welches Purple grape juice and Apple and Raspberry Wow as Morrisons had no red or white grape juice,it seems very dark at the moment,will see how it goes!

Mine also started out very dark, but after three days it is now much lighter, closer to a rose.

jkp said:
Mine also started out very dark, but after three days it is now much lighter, closer to a rose.

Same here two plus weeks in, there is a small amount of purple (ish) sediment settling out, i intend to stabilise, degas and clear this weekend.
I am looking forward to tasting this as its my first RGJ and Apple WOW variant.

Chippy_Tea said:
LeeH use the same recipe but use one litre of each juice and one teaspoon of all the ingredients, a three teabag brew will do for the tannin.

Thanks!
Dumb question.....WOW?

The clue is in the thread title. Wurzel's Orange Wine. If you look in the 'how to' by Moley, he gives a bit more history behind it.

LeeH said:
Chippy_Tea said:

Thanks!
Dumb question.....WOW?

Wurzels Orange Wine (WOW) is a wine based on Orange juice and White Grape juice, you can make it out of any juice as long as it doesn't have preservatives in it, the ones i make now out of different juices i call WOW variants or Supermarket juice wines hence the thread title.

There are many recipes in this thread all are roughly based on the original WOW recipe so are easy and quick to make, turn out well and are inexpensive to make. :thumb:

While pondering the great white grape juice shortage of 2014, I got to thinking about Shchchloeueueur. It's preservative free and made from white grape juice, so I wondered if anyone had ever tried to make wine out of it? I then looked at the price, and at £2 for 750ml, someone else can try, I'll stick with the red grape juice that I can find.

Berk said:
The clue is in the thread title. Wurzel's Orange Wine. If you look in the 'how to' by Moley, he gives a bit more history behind it.

Thanks.

Note to self.
....must pay more attention.

jkp said:
Started my first WOW variant this week, RGJ + AJ actually. I went by the book for all additions but noticed after adding the pectolase that the label suggested 1-2tsp per 5 gal, so 1 tsp in 1 gal seems like a lot. Should I have used less or is there a good reason for using that much?

Also adding 1tsp of yeast felt like a lot too, I used general purpose GV1 wine yeast and it says one sachet can ferment up to 5 gal.
I find 1/3 tspn of pectolase is enough for the wine to come out totally clear. As for yeast, it's generally felt that you can't subdivide that and that you should use at least 5g pretty much regardless of volume. I've not experimented with quantities to see for myself, but the one time a fermentation got "stuck" was the one time I didn't measure out the yeast carefully but just "bunged some in", I suspect there may be connection there, as only after I added a whole new dose of 5g yeast did the fermentation restart properly.

Honey? Tried substituting some basic runny honey for some of the sugar in an all apple juice concoction. Set off at the same time as an apple and RGJ mix. The honey one taking much longer on the fermentation, very gentle but still going. No problems with this and I tried it to see if it altered the taste as thought apple and honey may be nice. Anyone tried substituting honey for sugar in a wow??
ATB

I don't think i have ever read a recipe in the many pages of this thread where members have used honey but you never know someone may have, i like to get the stuff done and bottled as i don't have many DJ's or storage so anything that takes longer is not an option for me.

Let us know how it turns out. :thumb:

Hi all, just thought that I would let you know that I have just bottled a WGJ and tropicana apple and passion fruit version of this recipe. I tasted it while bottling it and it seems good but will need a few weeks to mellow, other than that I would definitely recommend it. :cheers:

Chippy_Tea said:
I don't think i have ever read a recipe in the many pages of this thread where members have used honey but you never know
My instinct is that honey is more likely to enhance beer than wine, but with so many types of fruit juice available for making wine from it wouldn't surprise me if honey helps some of them. I think it might enhance pear flavours for instance, though I've not seen pure pear juice on sale, though Tescos have an apple, peach & pear juice.

I am looking forward to tasting this as its my first RGJ and Apple WOW variant.

Have you tried a sample yet?
After one week and mine is still going strong, but the smell is really not nice. It's like someone has drank too many alcopops and vomitted into my DJ! The other half is not impressed so far.

Have you tried a sample yet?
After one week and mine is still going strong, but the smell is really not nice. It's like someone has drank too many alcopops and vomitted into my DJ! The other half is not impressed so far.

It takes awhile for it to mature. It's easily drinkable as soon as it's fermented. In fact I did the same not too long ago (three bottles of it in fact) but if you can leave it for at least a month, it starts to smell gorgeous and the taste really develops.

Back