Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think two things have happened to this thread:

White Grape dessert juice seems to be in short supply and Red will make a rose wine, which looks ugh together with mangoes, pineapples and the like (a sort of pale baby poo colour), and

Chippytea has left the forum and it was always his baby.

My favourite wine recipe is 1l red grape juice, 1l pineapple juice and 900gm sugar

Makes a lovely crisp rose style wine with quite a kick

I have found that aldi have stopped selling the RGJ, any ideas where I can get it?

My aldi's in Newcastle have white grape and also have white grape and peach.

1l white grape and peach
1.5l apple juice
800g sugar
mug of tea
glycerine

makes a lovely 1g batch of quite a fruity white wine.

really simple, and at about 35p a bottle, you cannot go wrong

2 x litres sainsburys basics apple juice, 250ml sainsburys basics breakfast juice which is mostly orange with a bit of grapefruit, 2 tsp citric, 2 tea bag brew and usual extras. Very good, tried it with just 1 tsp of citric and also good and drinks 7 to 10 days sooner but the extra tsp and waiting time makes all the difference.

Not made anything with WGJ for quite a while, just been using apple. Even got a orange, grapefruit and pineapple bottled up. Been in the bottle for about 6 weeks now so giving it a try tonight. On bottling tasted harsh but should have settled down!!

2 x litres sainsburys basics apple juice, 250ml sainsburys basics breakfast juice which is mostly orange with a bit of grapefruit, 2 tsp citric, 2 tea bag brew and usual extras. Very good, tried it with just 1 tsp of citric and also good and drinks 7 to 10 days sooner but the extra tsp and waiting time makes all the difference.

Not made anything with WGJ for quite a while, just been using apple. Even got a orange, grapefruit and pineapple bottled up. Been in the bottle for about 6 weeks now so giving it a try tonight. On bottling tasted harsh but should have settled down!!

Sorry meant apple, grapefruit and pineapple. Bottled 6th June, surprisingly smooth however lacks depth

I was lucky enough for my local supermarket to have some whoopsied tins of Black Cherries for 20p :) slightly out of date, and containing Cherries, water, sugar .... So following the WOW format (kind of) I mashed 3 tins in a sterilized bowl with a sterilized potato masher then put the whole lot including syrup into a demijohn with:

1kg Sugar.

1 juice of one lemon.

1 mug of strong black tea.

1 tsp Yeast

1 tsp Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerene.

And topped up with 17p spring water (realized I didn't have any grape juice and couldn't be bothered to go back out)

Did it say how much sugar was in the tins?

It was surprisingly low Chippy, just under 12g per 100g ... here they are on the webby, but appear to be disco'd Black Cherries

Am about a week or so in, and tastes a little like a sweetish sherry, and has a nice little kick to the end. Unfortunately have no hydrometer atm so no figures to go by, will give it a few more days or so and bottle. Airlock bubbling about every 10 secs atm

edit: forgot to mention, after 24 hours it was climbing out of demijohn, so transferred to 10litre brewing bucket and also added more water as felt it was a bit "thick" took it to 6/7 litres in total

Asda just delivered 8 cartons of "chosen by you" 100% white grape juice not from concentrate and 8 apple and raspberry (apple 94% raspberry 6%) i will be making 5 gallons in my FV later in the week.

Due to the lack of WGJ i haven't made anything different for a while, i decided to get a couple of DJ's on the go and i will sort the bucket later in the week.

One litre of WGJ and a litre of apple and raspberry in each.

20140727_153637.jpg

No the amount of sugar you add at the beginning determines the strength when fermentation has finished.
usually wine will ferment down to 990 on the hydrometer which is dry, you can stop it earlier to make it medium or sweet but it's best to let it ferment fully then back sweeten.

No the amount of sugar you add at the beginning determines the strength when fermentation has finished.
usually wine will ferment down to 990 on the hydrometer which is dry, you can stop it earlier to make it medium or sweet but it's best to let it ferment fully then back sweeten.

thank you , sorry to ask again is there an amount to back sweeten?
my latest WOW was 990 and i added 120gm of sugar ( diluted) i was after med??

I assume from your earlier post you have a hydrometer, if that is the case then this is a rough guide -

0.990 is dry

0.995 is medium/dry

1.000 is medium

1.005 is medium/sweet

1.010 is sweet

Latest posts

Back