Sweeting chart

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_newton

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been making a lot of youns wines and in the instructions it says to sweeten to taste for all flavors, i was wondering is there a chart anywhere on the net that gives you a rough guide to how much sugar to use for sweeting for each flavor, ie peach, cherry etc?

Many thanks

Chris

I think that means sweeten according to your own individual tastes, so what wine, do you have a hydrometer, what has it finished at and how would you prefer it?

Around 2oz of sugar brings the SG back up around 5 points.

For example, if it has fermented out to dryness, 2oz will bring it back to medium-dry, 4oz if you want it medium, etc.

Personal preference: I tend to use 150 - 200ml white grape juice added to the gallon.

i used red grape juice in an apple and cranberry supermarket juice wine..... sweetened very well but left floaty bits in the wine! only used red grape coz it was a red wine... will defo use a white one in the future.

Moley said:
I think that means sweeten according to your own individual tastes, so what wine, do you have a hydrometer, what has it finished at and how would you prefer it?

Around 2oz of sugar brings the SG back up around 5 points.

For example, if it has fermented out to dryness, 2oz will bring it back to medium-dry, 4oz if you want it medium, etc.

Personal preference: I tend to use 150 - 200ml white grape juice added to the gallon.
moley you say 150 to 200 ml what does this take it to sweet or medium ? also what brand grape juice do you use

holly said:
moley you say 150 to 200 ml what does this take it to sweet or medium ? also what brand grape juice do you use
I use a 100% pure pressed white grape juice, currently getting it from Tesco because theirs is 3L for £2. This is a completely clear juice.

I've found it takes about 10ml to the bottle to raise the SG by one point, and I usually only want to raise by 3 or 4 points from dry to medium-dry, so that's 30-40ml per bottle, or about a neckful.

Back