Swing top bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1607946264658.png

In normal times, today, I'd be driving back from a long weekend to the xmas market in Monschau Germany.
Of course I buy the odd bottle of beer, normally either 125 or 150 and a couple of 30 litre barrels of Fruh.
Quality Kolsh beers start at less than 9 euros for 20 500cl bottles including a crate, fantastic beers, such as Monchsof or Leikeim, in flip top bottles are less than 14 euros, there's a small deposit to pay, about 4 euros a crate for the flip tops, less for the other bottles.
Poxy pandemic.

View attachment 37481
In normal times, today, I'd be driving back from a long weekend to the xmas market in Monschau Germany.
Of course I buy the odd bottle of beer, normally either 125 or 150 and a couple of 30 litre barrels of Fruh.
Quality Kolsh beers start at less than 9 euros for 20 500cl bottles including a crate, fantastic beers, such as Monchsof or Leikeim, in flip top bottles are less than 14 euros, there's a small deposit to pay, about 4 euros a crate for the flip tops, less for the other bottles.
Poxy pandemic.
lets not forget that fantastic mustard factory there as well

Pete, Senfe (mustard) sauce over a vienna schnitzel with chips in the Zum Taller washed down with several pints of Schwarzbier.
God I miss it!!!

Attachments

• just-outside-the-hotel.jpg
    just-outside-the-hotel.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I live in Maidstone, Kent and have some clear swing-top bottles you can have for nothing if you live close enough to collect.

Any good?
Thanks very much for your offer, unfortunately I live down near selsey on the coast so a little too far, but thanks again thumb.

Just don’t use clear bottles. UV rays could breakdown the hop acids and combine with the sulphur = skunky beer

Just don’t use clear bottles. UV rays could breakdown the hop acids and combine with the sulphur = skunky beer

Actually your advice should be to not store your beer anywhere it will be in direct sunlight. I’ve used clear bottles for three years and *never* had a skunky beer. Many commercial beers also come in clear glass bottles.

Actually your advice should be to not store your beer anywhere it will be in direct sunlight. I’ve used clear bottles for three years and *never* had a skunky beer. Many commercial beers also come in clear glass bottles.
Your right but that’s why I deliberately said uv rays ‘could’.

Those commercial brews use isomerised hop extract or have uv protected glass

Those commercial brews use isomerised hop extract or have uv protected glass

In that case you’re better informed than I am. My 200 clear glass bottles though are not UV protected to my knowledge and my beer is fine in them. I just keep them out of the sun.

My point was that you shouldn’t discount clear glass bottles, keeping sun off your beer is the key point however you do it.

Back