Syphon tube cleaning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How do you clean your syphon tubes? I normally run warm water through them immediately after syphoning, but despite that I've got a nasty build-up of stuff inside:

pipes_zps86bd874c.jpg

I usually run through a dilute VWP solution after use (followed by a cold water rinse) to ensure any residues are removed.
I have a small 10L fermenting bucket with a tap fitted that I can fill with sanitiser and then run though the syphon tube that I attach to the tap

give it a good swing around your head once your done rinsing to dry it out, you look like a lunatic but it reduces moisture and in turn infection risk.

Here's another couple of ways of cleaning a siphon tube.

Straightened out a coat hanger with a strip of cloth from a washing up cloth (those blue ones) attached to a small eye bent into the hanger and then feed this thru the tube then pull it once you can get hold of the other end. You need to be careful there are no sharp bits of coat hanger, I use electrical tape round the hanger to prevent this. This does depend very much on the diameter of your tube, I'm using Vossy's tube and this works well in this situation.

Alternatively you could use a darning needle with a length of string attached to the needle at one end and the strip of cloth at the other and drop the needle thru the tube then pull the string and cloth thru.

I always rinse after use but have never had that before. I find oxi cleaner good for removing stains like that from hard to reach places (airlocks etc). Will need a good rinse through after though. Alternatively if you can't shift it, get a new length of pipe, only a few pence from your LHBS (if you have one of course..)

Thanks all. I always rinse after use (just water) but this has built up over time. I did buy another but that one went the same. I'll try to drag something through to clear it. :thumb:

I rinse and sterilize my syphon tube and pick up tube and anything else I can with my bottle rinser. Just place tube over the end a couple of presses and job done

I always soak my brewing stuff in oxy after use, just fill up the FV or boiler with warm water and oxy and put in syphon tubes, jugs, hop strainers etc in and leave it over night. Next day I rinse and put away. :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
I always soak my brewing stuff in oxy after use, just fill up the FV or boiler with warm water and oxy and put in syphon tubes, jugs, hop strainers etc in and leave it over night. Next day I rinse and put away. :thumb:
Could you post a link of what oxy you use GA?

+1 for using oxy cleaner on syphon tubes and other hard to reach/clean equipment. Deffo takes the hassle out of cleaning fiddly stuff

+1 for using supermarket own brand. The active ingredient is exactly the same a the named brand

I rinse with cold water, soak in hot oxi and then rinse with cold water.

I've found the best places to buy oxi clean are Home Bargains, pound stores and similar. Even supermarkets seem expensive. £2 for 1kg is a good price.

chrig said:
give it a good swing around your head once your done rinsing to dry it out, you look like a lunatic but it reduces moisture and in turn infection risk.

+1

The Mrs can't resist shouting Yee-Haw and telling me that a look like a real carbouy EVERY time I do it.

Rinse and put in freezer, any water freezes and mould doesn't grow at minus 20

Back