Syphoning Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azezal

Reaction score
I should be ready to syphon my second brew today or tommorow.

With my first brew, I had to quickly transfer the syphon from bottle to bottle when they got filled up. Some of the beer leaked and it was a bit messy.

I have read all the guides and they don't really explain, what I am supposed to do ounce the first bottle is filled. Do I just transfer from bottle to bottle and end up spilling beer, or do I raise the syphon and bottle above the fermentation tank to stop the flow? When I did this I had to suck again on the syphon to get it going. In other words do I let the syphon continue running till all bottles are filled or do I stop the syphon after each bottle and suck again for the next bottle?

That's one of the reasons I gave up on it, as even pinching the tube together, it still leaked :roll:

Get one of these top of the page, you'll never look back.

Even better, fit a tap to your fv and use the filling stick, saves all the messing around with a syphon, see the next page on the above site for a little bottler which includes a tap for £4.70 :cool:

or just bend the end of the syphon pipe in you hand, and squeeze the bend hard when you want the flow to stop. try it with water first to find the way you're comfortable with.. after about the 4th bottle i'd got it nailed.. no drips, spillages or anything and all bottles filled to exactly the same level.

i eventually picked up a plastic tube tap from my LHBS for about £3 last time i was there. well worth it :thumb:

siphon tube tap works for me. Its usually one of the first things i wash thoroughly tho because once something gets stuck in them its a right pain to get it out, especially if its in a difficult to reach part. You could also get a clamp for the siphon tube, a big bulldog clip would probably do it and no cleaning worries.

I tend to just syphon everying above the sedement into a container, then use a jug and funnel to pour the beer into the bottles. Its all sterelised and works a lot better for me. Is there anything wrong with doing it this way?

apart from a slightly increased chance of oxidation from moving it so many times, i dont see any major concern aslong as your sanitising is up to scratch :thumb:

azezal said:
I tend to just syphon everying above the sedement into a container, then use a jug and funnel to pour the beer into the bottles. Its all sterelised and works a lot better for me. Is there anything wrong with doing it this way?
Definitely oxidation, get one of the filing sticks to be on the safe side.

I bottle most of my beers and I use a bottling stick on the end of a tube.
I find it very a very simple process,works a treat. :thumb:

Back