Taking a reading from the FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blockley

Reaction score
So my first two brews are both fermenting and things seem to be progressing well.
Having done some reading I gather the best way to tell if the fermentation has finished is to take a reading and then take another a couple of days later and if it's the same then I'm good to bottle.
However, I've also read that I shouldn't expose the wort to the air when it's fermenting.

So my question is, if I take a reading then seal it up again for a couple of days don't I risk ruining the batch?

So my first two brews are both fermenting and things seem to be progressing well.
Having done some reading I gather the best way to tell if the fermentation has finished is to take a reading and then take another a couple of days later and if it's the same then I'm good to bottle.
However, I've also read that I shouldn't expose the wort to the air when it's fermenting.

So my question is, if I take a reading then seal it up again for a couple of days don't I risk ruining the batch?
It’s a good question, but to be honest as long as you are relatively careful when taking your sample, I doubt you’ll be exposing the brew to enough oxygen to cause any problems.

Try using a turkey baster or wine thief to take the sample if you want to minimise splashing, otherwise a sanitised jug will do just fine.

I was concerned about this too I ended up sanitising a jug as well - I guess as long as whatever you use is sanitised and you are reasonably quick there is little danger. And don't pour it away - taste it.

It’s a good question, but to be honest as long as you are relatively careful when taking your sample, I doubt you’ll be exposing the brew to enough oxygen to cause any problems.

Try using a turkey baster or wine thief to take the sample if you want to minimise splashing, otherwise a sanitised jug will do just fine.

Thanks, to be honest that's what I was hoping to hear but I'm still at the stage where I need reassuring!!

I was concerned about this too I ended up sanitising a jug as well - I guess as long as whatever you use is sanitised and you are reasonably quick there is little danger. And don't pour it away - taste it.
I had thought about this but i did think that it may be difficult to get an accurate reading, particularly if there's a load of gunk on top?

I had thought about this but i did think that it may be difficult to get an accurate reading, particularly if there's a load of gunk on top?
I have found the debris from the dry hop can interfere with my readings when I have done this in the past, but if the surface looks clear when you pop the lid no harm in dropping it in and leaving it in there.

If there is a 'load of gunk on top', its either not finished , and/or you have lots of floating hops after a dry hop. If you give it at least 10 days any floating 'gunk' should have started to drop, and the longer you leave it the better it gets.
And I can get readings off my hydrometer in my FV good enough for me to establish OG and FG and that's really all that's important.

As somebody that's oxidised a hell of a lot of beer early doors it's not about speed. If you're dipping that jug in it, and your arm and displacing co2 out of the vessel and sucking back in air when you pull it out. When it was happening a lot was when I was testing the gravity every day because I hda a load of stuck ferments with kits and crappy S-04 yeast.

Somebody on here recently said put in a spoon of sugar after you've taken a reading - bloody brilliant idea. Obviously only a bit if it's a demijohn.

If there is a 'load of gunk on top', its either not finished , and/or you have lots of floating hops after a dry hop. If you give it at least 10 days any floating 'gunk' should have started to drop, and the longer you leave it the better it gets.
And I can get readings off my hydrometer in my FV good enough for me to establish OG and FG and that's really all that's important.

indeed, if there’s a load of gunk on the top it’s probably too soon for the hydrometer reading.

I use a big syringe with a tube on. Take the cap off my airlock and put the tube through there and draw off a sample. Never have to lift the lid then.

I'm new to all this but it should minimise risks I hope!

Latest posts

Back