Taking a sample/reading - throw out the sample?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murray&murphy's

Reaction score
Hi all,

Taking a reading of my first brew today. Have a hydrometer and sample jar that came with the kit and based on previous threads it looks like a turkey baster or plastic syringe is the way to go for extracting a sample (?). After taking a reading, should the sample then be thrown out? Need to pick up a baster/syringe later today but depending on how much volume it has, after a few readings that could be quite a bit of wastage? Am wondering if sampling equipment is properly sanitised, does that mean sample can be returned to bucket?

Cheers.

Thanks for responses. Actually, sample needed wasn't very much at all so was happy to taste and chuck. On a separate note, I have left the sterilisation soluton (Brewsafe Sodium Percarbonate) in the jug can I reuse to it sterilise the sample jar for another reading in day or two, or best to make a fresh solution? Thanks.

You'll get three answers to this question.

4. Just leave it alone.

Never felt the need to sample, once the lid goes on I don't go near it for 2-3 weeks, I guess that comes with experience but I only ever checked a brew mid-way with a hydrometer with my first few brews, after that it's usually done by the time I first put the hydrometer in. I just santise the hydrometer and put it into the FV to take a reading.

4. Just leave it alone.

Never felt the need to sample, once the lid goes on I don't go near it for 2-3 weeks, I guess that comes with experience but I only ever checked a brew mid-way with a hydrometer with my first few brews, after that it's usually done by the time I first put the hydrometer in. I just santise the hydrometer and put it into the FV to take a reading.

This is the most appealing answer in terms of easiness! Cheers.

4. Just leave it alone.

Ah, I read the OP as before fermentation.
I always take a reading at the start, but then rarely again until it’s done.

Drink it. Yes, you may well have sanitised, but there's always an outside chance of infecting beer if you return it to the fermenter.

@chopps - I thought refractometers were only good for taking samples of unfermeted wort.

The sample I take on day 1 for the OG reading, I put back into the FV (the sample cylinder and hydrometer have been sitting in sterilisation solution up to that point). As for the FG sample, I tend to chug it - a nice refreshing malty drink... but generally only take one sample shortly before bottling time. And it's only 100ml.

Drink it. Yes, you may well have sanitised, but there's always an outside chance of infecting beer if you return it to the fermenter.

@chopps - I thought refractometers were only good for taking samples of unfermeted wort.
Depends if you're any good at maths. There are calculators available.
Actually, I thought that the original post was a brew day question, but later confirmed it was 20 days in.

I have left the sterilisation soluton (Brewsafe Sodium Percarbonate) in the jug can I reuse to it sterilise the sample jar for another reading in day or two, or best to make a fresh solution? Thanks.
Yes, with Sodium Percarbonate you definitely need to make a new solution because an hour after mixing it degrades into a harness solution of soda ash (one of the reasons I like it - makes it easy and safe to dispose of)

Mostly I use sodium percarbonate for cleaning and sterilising kit; whereas for 'last minute' quick sterilisation of things like thermometers etc I use a spray bottle of Chem-San (you can leave that mixed up for ages, so long as you made it up with RO or DI water).

@chopps - I thought refractometers were only good for taking samples of unfermeted wort
Depends if you're any good at maths. There are calculators available.
... it also depends on whether you want to "know" the FG (yet), or are just trying to determine whether fermentation has finished ... I use my refractometer to monitor for stable readings (indicating the sugar and alcohol levels are stable) over several days, i.e. fermentation is finished, then use a hydrometer to measure FG ... and sample the beer at that stage wink...

Cheers, PhilB

As mentioned above, I put the hydrometer directly in the FV (I use the plastic buckets). Also, as mentioned, I don't take mid-fermentation readings, just one at the beginning and one at the end after three weeks. I wouldn't call what I do a Best Practice but it does keep the fermenter undisturbed until bottling.
If something seemed off (FG too high), I might take another reading; however, that hasn't happened in the six years I've been making beer.

... it also depends on whether you want to "know" the FG (yet), or are just trying to determine whether fermentation has finished ... I use my refractometer to monitor for stable readings (indicating the sugar and alcohol levels are stable) over several days, i.e. fermentation is finished, then use a hydrometer to measure FG ... and sample the beer at that stage wink...

Cheers, PhilB
Thanks guys. I knew I should have asked about a calculator. Can you recommend one?

Back