Taking a sample/reading - throw out the sample?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. I knew I should have asked about a calculator. Can you recommend one?
... the online one at Brewer's Friend (link), leaving the defaults as is, will give you a fair indication ... if you scroll down and follow the links for calculating the wort correction factor for your refractomer you can see what might be involved in getting a more accurate measurement .. but BEWARE, that can end up consuming large amounts of time and effort aheadbutt ... which is why I only use my refractometer to assess that fermentation is finished, and then use a hydrometer athumb..

Cheers, PhilB

I Tried a refracometer but kept getting differing readings when checked against two different hydrometers which agreed with each other, admittedly a cheap one off eBay, now been given a Tilt and it seems to be spot on for temperature and gravity, though do get accused of being on the phone to my beer all the time! not cheap and wouldn’t have spent the money myself but wouldn’t do without it now. Also stops me peering in and taking samples which could introduce some nasties.

As I do mostly smaller batches (8 -12 litres) the Tilt means less wastage, but also less tasting along the way.

Last edited:
I use iSpinel to track fermentation progress and hydrometer to measure FG...then drink the sample!

Though been thinking about switching to using the refractometer and calculator as my few back to back hydrometer vs refractometer trails I've done so far are pretty good...certainly good enough for the Homebrewers. Might be different if you're more commercial and have to get the ABV spot on for tax purposes but for me confirming if I've hit or close to target FG is good enough. If I miss or overshoot ABV by half a percent I'm not too fussed.

But hydrometers are a faff.

Some will hate me, but since I know my tilts are out with about 3 points at the end of the fermentation i don't bother with sampling, unless I wanna taste the beer.
My answer for your question would be, drink it.

Back