Taps for FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopperty

Reaction score
I fitted a plastic tap to the FV three brews ago, it is now leaking (thankfully I just bottle this morning so it only has water in it)

Can anyone recommend a decent reliable tap I could replace it with - I do like the tap for bottling, far better than the siphon)

Take it apart Vaseline it and fit two washer internal and external to the FV. If it still leaks buy another as they don't all leak.

This one is a ball valve and I doubt it comes apart

I was just wondering if there was any particular good reliable makes. Would hate to have just got a brew underway and find it was leaking.

I assumed when you said plastic it was like the taps you get on plastic barrels asad.. I use a metal tap on my FV something like this...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tesla-lever-ball-valve-yellow/8173r
This is what mine looks like...
IMG-20200725-WA0002.jpg

I assumed when you said plastic it was like the taps you get on plastic barrels asad.. I use a metal tap on my FV something like this...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tesla-lever-ball-valve-yellow/8173r
This is what mine looks like...
View attachment 48540
@Buffers brewery, a couple of questions on your interesting fermenter setup. What is the purpose of the copper pipework? What is the advantage of having a bottom drain on the fermenter? Do you find it worthwhile?

@Buffers brewery, a couple of questions on your interesting fermenter setup. What is the purpose of the copper pipework? What is the advantage of having a bottom drain on the fermenter? Do you find it worthwhile?
Hi @Wynne , the copper pipework was a mod I did to attach a bubbler. If I put the bubbler directly in the lid it was too high to get in my fridge :laugh8:. I don’t use it anymore. I have a pipe running through the fridge wall that I connect to the lid (where the bubbler would be) and then to my CO2 collection balloon outside the fridge.
D5DDBDD3-3282-4006-97A4-56921F50AAEA.jpeg

When I fitted the tap to the bottom I had 2 advantages in mind. First the fixing would be in a flat surface and would be easier to seal and put less stress on the plastic (if it were curved). Second, the opening of the fixing inside the bucket would be above the level of the trub and therefore I wouldn’t need to siphon. This picture shows the bucket after transfer..
02922F1D-2034-44F5-A265-799E835B0816.jpeg

You can see the thin film of beer left above the trub. I don’t do this anymore either :laugh8: I now have a float fitted to the tap fitting so the beer runs out from the top and stops when the float lands on the trub. Leaves a little more beer in the bucket but it can cope with varying levels of trub.
8721C7B0-752F-481E-9C63-4F361C1C2A3C.jpeg

Hi @Wynne , the copper pipework was a mod I did to attach a bubbler. If I put the bubbler directly in the lid it was too high to get in my fridge :laugh8:. I don’t use it anymore. I have a pipe running through the fridge wall that I connect to the lid (where the bubbler would be) and then to my CO2 collection balloon outside the fridge.
View attachment 48571
When I fitted the tap to the bottom I had 2 advantages in mind. First the fixing would be in a flat surface and would be easier to seal and put less stress on the plastic (if it were curved). Second, the opening of the fixing inside the bucket would be above the level of the trub and therefore I wouldn’t need to siphon. This picture shows the bucket after transfer..
View attachment 48572
You can see the thin film of beer left above the trub. I don’t do this anymore either :laugh8: I now have a float fitted to the tap fitting so the beer runs out from the top and stops when the float lands on the trub. Leaves a little more beer in the bucket but it can cope with varying levels of trub.
View attachment 48573
Thank you, ingenious and interesting. I’m a fan of floating dip tubes too, although, I ferment in a corny and finish under pressure. I’m always interested in other folk’s innovations.

Back